Rocketman on August 05, 2008, 09:45:53 pm
She is a Sinister Superhero reflection of the New American Century.
  But is she really a more sinister superhero than say Batman or the Hulk?  I think she would qualify as an anti-hero because she's not really working directly for the establishment (i.e. the government) the way that say Captain America was during the Second World War.  She believes that what she's doing is right morally, but I'm not quite sure that qualifies as a "sinister superhero."

aditantimedh on August 06, 2008, 12:44:13 pm
I tend to see her as less a superhero than a god, and a rather whimsical and capricious one at that.

That's the mistake her enemies made: they think she's either a superhero or just a dumb celebrity, and her cover as a celebrity has fooled them into underestimating her and exactly how terrifying she really is. 

Rocketman on August 06, 2008, 07:09:52 pm
I would agree with that assessment.  Outside of a handful of government types the average person doesn't have any idea that Susan has anywhere near that destructive capability.  If they did know they would either have been worshiping her or hiding in a dark corner of their basement sucking on their thumbs.

aditantimedh on August 06, 2008, 10:13:46 pm
Yup.  She understood this enough to totally hide her real self under the celeb facade.  She's really very calculating.

enemyofthestate on August 07, 2008, 11:35:36 pm
She is a Sinister Superhero reflection of the New American Century.
  But is she really a more sinister superhero than say Batman or the Hulk?  I think she would qualify as an anti-hero because she's not really working directly for the establishment (i.e. the government) the way that say Captain America was during the Second World War.  She believes that what she's doing is right morally, but I'm not quite sure that qualifies as a "sinister superhero."
I used "sinister" in the double meaning of threatening or portending harm or disaster and on the left side.  Maybe not the greatest homographic pun ever made but the opportunity may never pass this way again.

In many ways and always bearing in mind this is a fairy tale, Susan can be interpreted as a "leftie" reflection of the neocons.  She is the most powerful being on the planet right now; America is the sole superpower.  She is willing to to use her powers to reshape the world; neocons think American military might should be used to spread "democracy".  Both are convinced of the rightness of their respective causes, implicitly accept that the ends justify the means and reject moral equivalence.

I would agree with that assessment.  Outside of a handful of government types the average person doesn't have any idea that Susan has anywhere near that destructive capability.  If they did know they would either have been worshiping her or hiding in a dark corner of their basement sucking on their thumbs.
Or desperately seeking Kryptonite.

aditantimedh on August 08, 2008, 12:47:47 pm
Actually, it's not explicit, but by the end of the story, there are no real superpowers left.  There won't be any great foreign campaigns or interferences between nations.  And not everyone has noticed.

Susan has nullified them all so she and Libby are the only superpowers in the world.  They also made sure nobody realises that.