knoodelhed on July 11, 2008, 11:57:18 am
Moxie from the kids' future? (assuming the dino left enough of him to pass a PD physical :P )

Or an ancestor of Moxie?

Interesting and thought provoking story thus far.  ;D

enemyofthestate on July 12, 2008, 09:39:57 am
Earlier in the story it was revealed that Moxie's ancestors used to "run" the town.  His grandfather was the last mayor.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:00:46 am by enemyofthestate »

Scott on July 17, 2008, 06:49:50 pm
The cop, Melvin, is Moxie's grandfather.

Geezer on July 18, 2008, 04:32:31 pm
And apparently no brighter than Moxie. Note that he is holding his pistol with his finger on the trigger - bad technique and a real no-no unless you're about to shoot something.

Scott on July 24, 2008, 01:02:14 am
Melvin is a complete dolt -- as we'll see in the developing story.

Rocketman on August 16, 2008, 12:21:05 am
Scott:
     After seeing Melvin try to clear his shotgun's barrel by pulling the trigger, I think your description of him as a complete dolt is giving him entirely too much credit.  If he looses two more brain cells he should be considered plant life.   ;D

Steffan on August 16, 2008, 09:16:45 am
Scott:
     After seeing Melvin try to clear his shotgun's barrel by pulling the trigger, I think your description of him as a complete dolt is giving him entirely too much credit.  If he looses two more brain cells he should be considered plant life.   ;D

I think you're giving ol' Melvin 'way too much credit.  I don't think he even noticed that the barrel was blocked.    ::)

Whatever it is that he thinks with, it is not whatever might lurk between his ears.  My vote's for a basketball court, like the one in the Matterhorn at Disneyland.   ;D
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Rocketman on August 16, 2008, 10:40:51 am

"I think you're giving ol' Melvin 'way too much credit. I don't think he even noticed that the barrel was blocked. "

You may be right Steffen.  Anyone who doesn't pay attention to what is going on in a situation like that is a total frackin moron... but then again that pretty much sums him up.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:44:08 am by Rocketman »

Old Ironsights on August 17, 2008, 09:29:40 am
Scott:
Being the gun-geek pedant that I am (and I don't know why Neil hasn't groused...) I can think of only one extant, verifiable, non-cartoon case of a gunbarrel "doing the banana" without being pre-stressed.

Yess, it looks funny but that ain't how it happens...  ;)

KBCraig on August 17, 2008, 10:46:54 am
Scott:
Being the gun-geek pedant that I am (and I don't know why Neil hasn't groused...) I can think of only one extant, verifiable, non-cartoon case of a gunbarrel "doing the banana" without being pre-stressed.
Leaving a laser bore-sighter in place while firing seems to do the trick.

http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html

Rocketman on August 17, 2008, 10:27:16 pm
Okay, totally believable but you have to remember that a 30-06 develops CONSIDERABLY more pounds per square inch pressure than a shotgun barrel would.  I saw a picture of a burst barrel a number of years ago.  As I remember it had split right in the middle on the left side of the gun when an individual who was in a skeet shooting tournment fired a quick shot at a clay pigeon and then fired another.  They thought that somehow the plastic wad had jammed in the center of the barrel and the second shot caused the burst.  Can't see how but there's always a million to one chance that it could.  I'm sure not going to ruin my great grandfathers 1914 Winchester model 12 trying to recreate it though.

Old Ironsights on August 18, 2008, 08:57:59 am
Scott:
Leaving a laser bore-sighter in place while firing seems to do the trick.

http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html
And that is the ONE extant example to which I was referring...  ;)

Rocketman on August 19, 2008, 04:25:41 pm
Melvin looks like he's trashed his patrol car as well as half or more of the town.  While he probably hasn't killed any citizens there have probably been a lot of close calls.  I think a lot of the people who are living there right now are thinking that they're better off without police "protection" if it means that he's roaming the streets.

Leviathan on August 19, 2008, 06:26:20 pm

Sean Roach on August 22, 2008, 04:04:48 pm
I've seen a ruptured barrel of a shotgun.  Looked modern to my untrained teenage eyes.  According to the game warden teaching us hunters safety, it had gotten plugged with snow.
Basically, it was split into three pieces about the middle with a slight spiral, if memory serves.

Yes, I know, a spiral would suggest rifling, and yes, I remember it being a shotgun barrel.

anything