aditantimedh on June 20, 2008, 02:39:03 am
That's the problem. 

Susan is a lot of things, but she's not crazy.

Rocketman on June 21, 2008, 11:10:09 am
Well, judging from the last page, it appears that Libby is a whole lot more powerful than she let on.  She also from what I've read appears to have a whole lot more common sense than Susan has.  My kind of woman.  If using the mind energy of 6 billion people can have an effect on their parents then just maybe she can stop them from destroying the earth.   ::)

aditantimedh on June 23, 2008, 01:18:00 am
Yes.  This is where you can think about who the real hero of the story is, since there's more than on LA MUSE.

Leviathan on July 04, 2008, 11:08:40 am

She can't deal with irrationality that's more powerful than her. That's her limit.
     So in order to defeat them she has to become crazier than they are?  :o

Sounds like the anarchist versus Ron Paul minarchist dilemma.  ;D

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout KBCraig?! 

Though I'll mention that Ron Paul and the general topic of minarchism has steadily lost its appeal to me over the last year.  Why try to just minimize tyranny for the next decade or so?  Why not try to end tyranny for all time?  In practice, a little bit of government tends to be like a little bit of pregnancy or a little bit of botulism in food.  It gets big, and in a hurry.  And that holds true for within-the-system gradualism as well.  One or a few high-minded minarchists might be able to pare government down for awhile, resisting the temptations of near ultimate power.  But in that way government is like cancer.  It has this annoying tendency to relapse. 

The only way I can see gradualism having a chance at this point in my life (rather than waiting for inevitable collapse and chaos and rebuilding from the rubble) is for people to start treating government like it is a business and go into private competition with it for all of its services and power.  Sick of incompetent, irrational, abusive police?  Start a general-contract security company.  Sick of corrupt courts?  Start your own arbitration firm.  Sick of unbacked playmoney that's manipulated by governments on a whim and inflated out of any psychotic delusion of value?  Start making "medallions" out of precious metals.  Sick of gridlock in your city?  Start up the venture capital exploration for private roads to bypass it.  You don't get rid of government by using government.  You get rid of government by rendering it irrelevant.

Rocketman on July 04, 2008, 03:08:15 pm
Leviathan:   I think that in theory, what your advocating should work.  But the problem is far too complex in reality for it to be successful.  Case in point.  Here in north central Indiana the state government is planning to take the road running north out of Indianapolis called US 31 previously a public roadway built for in the 1940's and taxed by the people of Indiana and turn it into a toll road that will be owned by an Australian/ Spanish conglomerate.  The road had been a public throurgh fare and paid for itself years and years ago. But now the state will begin indirectly taxing us again for it by getting a cut of the toll money.  To my knowledge absolutley no one has asked the state.  "Since you no longer have to pay the maintainance on US 31 are you planning to reduce the size of the highway fund corresponding to what you no longer have to pay?"  I already know what their answer would be.   >:(

anything