H. Rearden on January 18, 2008, 09:03:02 pm
In TBP Lysander Spooner was the president from 1860-1880. I would like to mention that Spooner was born 200 years ago on Jan. 19, 1808.

H. Rearden  $

Rocketman on January 20, 2008, 04:04:35 pm
That's one of the few men that I would like to have seen become President.  :'(

Leviathan on January 25, 2008, 07:41:48 pm
I'm unofficially trying to elect Lysander Spooner, the father of the four cent stamp, as God.  Supreme being of the universe.  Divine non-authority and counsel.  May The Backs of His Holy Image be forever licked, amen.  ;D

Seriously though, Spooner is about my favorite historical figure.  The man took on the post office and WON!  The only way the post office was able to finally "beat" him was by becoming subsidized.  As they are still to this day.  How's that for a superhero?

Scott on January 30, 2008, 09:36:28 pm
I don't think today's Postal Service gets direct cash subsidies, although they do enjoy tax-exempt status on their property, machinery, etc., and they retain the legal monopoly on first-class mail delivery.

Leviathan on January 30, 2008, 11:58:58 pm
Nope, sorry.  3.7 billion dollars pours into the postal service as of '08.  In addition to tax exemption and their legislated monopoly.

Map of 2008 discretionary federal budget

Just use the drop down to select "other agencies" and look for the friendly Postal Service logo.  Or look at note #13 in the bottom-right-hand corner to see the overall budget calculation, and how much is offset by the amount we pay in through stamps.

Admittedly, it's a drop in the overall federal budget's bucket.  But still, an example of initiation of force (subsidies) ensuring the department is more "competetive" than others.

As a side note, the "map" is available because it's being sold as a 2'x3' poster that you can hang, well, anywhere.  I intend to start buying one for every budget year so I can roll it out as a visual aid anytime a question of the budget comes up.

Rocketman on January 31, 2008, 08:30:11 pm
It's too bad that the Libertarian Party doesn't have the money to send one to each household just before the November election.
 ;D

Sean Roach on February 01, 2008, 08:36:24 pm
Or the time to send one to every Republican before Tuesday.

It's too bad that the Libertarian Party doesn't have the money to send one to each household just before the November election.
 ;D