Rocketman on January 03, 2008, 04:14:46 am
Nice touch to include the fate of the horny Porfirio.  Looks to me like a classic case of what goes around comes around.   ;D

Steffan on January 03, 2008, 10:27:40 am
Heh.  Also called "Payback's a bitch."     

So, did he ever have a playtoy who wasn't an agent?    ;D
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Rocketman on January 03, 2008, 08:50:18 pm
Nope.  Who ever was in charge of security appearently wasn't doing his job very well.  That's pretty much normal more most dictatorships, the more corrupt they get the more stupid that they get too, replacing brains with muscle.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:58:09 pm by Rocketman »

Steffan on January 03, 2008, 10:37:04 pm
I think we'll likely find that he couldn't believe that his playtoys could think for themselves, much less be agents.  After all, we've seen what Rosa is capable of, and he didn't think she could even speak English....

::)
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Steffan on January 03, 2008, 11:29:47 pm
Something that just occurred to me -- do we want to know where those girls hid those gats?    :-[
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:22:54 am by Steffan »

-- Frank Zappa

Rocketman on January 04, 2008, 02:40:15 am
Not to mention the badges.  ;D   At a guess I would say that they probably smuggled them into the palace and put them someplace nearby where they could be gotten to fairly rapidly.  Porfino really should have gotten himself a better security head.  Oh well, it's a little too late now.  ;D

enemyofthestate on January 05, 2008, 10:13:14 pm
Nope.  Who ever was in charge of security appearently wasn't doing his job very well.  That's pretty much normal more most dictatorships, the more corrupt they get the more stupid that they get too, replacing brains with muscle.   ::)
There is an axiom in the IT business to the effect, "You cannot know how good your security is until it fails you."

BTW, who, if anyone, was he modeled on? 

Steffan on January 05, 2008, 11:01:11 pm
Anyone -- though the name William Jefferson Clinton seems to resonate.    ;D

-- Frank Zappa

Rocketman on January 06, 2008, 08:15:53 pm
Steffen, that's a good one.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  That made my day.

enemyofthestate on January 08, 2008, 12:51:43 pm
Anyone -- though the name William Jefferson Clinton seems to resonate.    ;D
There was a Porfirio Diaz who was Presidente Del Mexico and was not a very nice person but he died in 1915 which is too early for the story.

wdg3rd on January 08, 2008, 08:48:17 pm
There was a Porfirio Diaz who was Presidente Del Mexico and was not a very nice person but he died in 1915 which is too early for the story.

Note that the character's full name (page 67) is given as Porfirio Moctesuma Napoleon Brigham Hapsburg y Rothschild III.  Porfirio Diaz's life (he was five years old when the Texicans seceded) went somewhat differently in the R,T timeline and he married better connections and achieved (and passed on) more than mere dictatorial power, as well as a new surname.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Steffan on January 28, 2008, 11:37:01 pm
Somehow I get the feeling that Benito Juarez didn't exactly shine in this TL.  Probably he was stifled (for which, read: killed) fairly early in his endeavors.    :(

-- Frank Zappa

Zen Redneck on January 29, 2008, 12:58:14 pm
Actually, he did.  He was President of Texas in the 1870's and 1880's.

Steffan on February 04, 2008, 08:22:02 pm
Good to know.   ;D

Something that just occurred to me:  Why does the Lindbergh family favor red shirts? 

They channeling A.P. Hill?

-- Frank Zappa

archy on July 10, 2008, 11:02:20 am

Something that just occurred to me:  Why does the Lindbergh family favor red shirts? 

They channeling A.P. Hill?

Maybe they're from Mississippi/North Carolina, or are descended from the redshirt movements thereof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Shirts_(South_Carolina)
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

anything