Rocketman on December 29, 2007, 01:21:14 am
Just thought I'de let you know how much I've enjoyed reading "Roswell Texas" and that I'm going to really miss it.  If you ever decide to do a sequel to it you might think about the implications of what would happen if Ansonia Weinbaum did thaw out in 300 years and started a rescue mission for her friends.   8)

Steffan on January 07, 2008, 11:06:57 pm
There's also the observer effect to consider -- they went back into time to see what happened, and it turned out that they were what happened.  It's Schroedinger's cat, basically -- the act of observing changes what is observed.  Cecil Adams wrote a brilliant poem about that in The Straight Dope.

Which means, in short: Will the world she will wake up in be the same as the one she left?  My money says "no." 

Gokk the historian would likely know far more about this than any of the girls.... but you will recall that those girls were his honor students.  If they tweak the timeline to make things better, they might tweak it out of any resemblance to their own timeline.

:-\
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Scott on January 15, 2008, 06:13:52 pm
The girls had already concluded that they'd changed the timeline just by getting shot down. So why not do what they can to make their future better? No reason not to expect that Texicans will have settled mars by 2247 anyway, but Ansonia would certainly wake up to find a very different world from the one she left.

enemyofthestate on January 16, 2008, 11:15:42 pm
Just thought I'de let you know how much I've enjoyed reading "Roswell Texas" and that I'm going to really miss it.  If you ever decide to do a sequel to it you might think about the implications of what would happen if Ansonia Weinbaum did thaw out in 300 years and started a rescue mission for her friends.   8)
Depending in how "fast" the timeships move along the T-axis it might be possible to arrive after Gokk is shot down (the putative branch in the timeline) but still be able to send him a warning before the incident.

I wonder if it's worth doing the math...

H. Rearden on January 18, 2008, 11:35:41 pm
The girls had already concluded that they'd changed the timeline just by getting shot down. So why not do what they can to make their future better? No reason not to expect that Texicans will have settled mars by 2247 anyway, but Ansonia would certainly wake up to find a very different world from the one she left.

Did the timeline prior to the ship being shot down change as well as the future? The timeline was different from the time of the battle of the Alamo. I like the alternate history type of sci-fi.  In '02 a Korean made movie was released titled 2009 Lost Memories. The storyline of the movie is that history was altered because of a single historical event which was suppose to happen in 1909 being altered. As a result of that in the year 2009 Korea was still part of the japanese empire and during WWII Japan and the U.S. were allies and the war ended after Berlin was nuked.

HR $

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKQx9mfj2bU

http://www.advfilms.com/titles/2009

Steffan on January 19, 2008, 01:53:14 am
Well, the girls were from a Texas-ascendant timeline to begin with -- they're from UT Syrtis Major, after all (as Gokk says, "Hook 'em, Horns!").   ;D

Pg. 427:  Lowella specializes in "World Texification."

Pg. 429:  Thuvia studies a Texperanto author, and Tweela seems to have a familiar logo plastered across her quite attractive posterior.    8)

Pg. 430: "Expanding Texican Commonwealth."

Pg. 536:  Mal: "You arm your robots?"  Bradberry: "Why not?  They're Texans, too."

Pg. 539:  "For Davy's sake."  I don't think she was referring to Davy Jones.   ;D

Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Rev. Bear Jones on January 20, 2008, 03:02:38 pm
Just finished reading Roswell. I loved it and fell out of my chair twice!

Redleg on January 21, 2008, 11:54:54 pm
Just a thought:  Didn't Scotty deal with this very conundrum in Star Trek IV, when he traded the diagrams for transparent aluminum for some sheets of thick glass for the whale tank?  Said something like, "How do you know he didn't invent it?"

I wish I had the exact quote; maybe Lt. Roddenberry can help us with that.

Rocketman on January 22, 2008, 10:18:34 pm
In the dead tree book version that I read Scotty explains to McCoy that the individual that he traded with did invent transparent aluminum.  They didn't change history they were only a part of it.  ;D

Sean Roach on January 23, 2008, 08:19:32 pm
Yeah, but the dead tree version still has Eddie Murphey's character in it.

Zen Redneck on January 24, 2008, 09:20:00 pm
The time travelers do indeed come from the future of the Texas timeline.  Whether or not they give rise to a fork in the road and a new timestream is open to question.

Steffan on January 28, 2008, 10:48:16 pm
I've another question that, frankly, just occurred to me:  Is there a dead-tree, prose version of this book?

I would dearly love to read it if it exists.   :)

If it doesn't exist but L. Neil has it as a text file, perhaps he would consider making it a Webscription offering....   ;D

http://www.webscription.net/

-- Frank Zappa