kona_boy on December 25, 2007, 11:33:59 am
On pg. 620, who do you all think is supposed to be the new pope?  Is this the same one we were introduced to earlier in the storyline?  That American cardinal, in OTL, that had that TV show during the 1950's?  Because the new pope on 620 looks like Milton Berle to me, lol.

Rocketman on December 25, 2007, 03:16:50 pm
I'm anything but an expert but I thought it looked like Bishop Fulton J Sheen. :-\

Scott on December 25, 2007, 05:55:53 pm
Yes, it's the same Bishop Sheen, who was a "new Pope" in the sense that the previous Pope, Pius VII, had been in office for some time, and Sheen, now Pius VIII, only had a couple of years under his, um, pointy hat.

Rocketman on December 26, 2007, 03:09:17 pm
I had noticed that the Pope is still using the Colt Woodsman.  That would be okay as target pistol or as snake killer but would be pretty light for a defensive gun.  Why doesn't he get something lightweight with a little bit of stopping power behind it?  Maybe a Browning Hi Power or Vis P35 Radom?  ;D

Steffan on December 26, 2007, 10:23:48 pm
Strictly speaking, the Pope doesn't really need anything more than a "popegun."  He's got armed Swiss guards, the "Watican Secret Service," and all dem guys from Hoboken to watch his back.   ;D

The question comes to mind, of course, that if the Bishop of Brownsville is in Texas, who's in Rome?   ???
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

ansonmacdonald on December 27, 2007, 05:46:04 am
I recognized Fulton Sheen right away but I do have a question.  Is Father Wojtila supposed to be the man who would become, in our timeline, Pope John Paul II?  The age would be about right.

BTW, GREAT story and artwork; accolades to all are in order.  I sent the link to my 75 yo dad so he could enjoy it too.  Put it out in dead tree please, so I can buy a dozen or so for family and friends.

Steffan on December 27, 2007, 10:20:58 pm
In OTL. Karol Wojtila became Johannes Paulus Secundus.  In this timeline, he obviously doesn't have to deal with communist bureaucrats....

;)
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Scott on January 15, 2008, 06:05:51 pm
No reason Father Karol couldn't eventually become Pope in the R,T timeline too. The best part of this timeline is the long odds against having Pope Benny following him.

Steffan on January 28, 2008, 11:30:50 pm
Depends on what else is happening in the world.

Earlier in the story, there was a reference to both popes.  Who is the other pope, who I would imagine is based in Vatican City?

-- Frank Zappa

Scott on February 26, 2008, 06:11:46 pm
I could be mistaken but I believe the other "pope" referred to in that quote was Emperor Porfirio, who claimed the title as part of his plan to revive the Aztec religion in some sort of hybrid fashion.

wdg3rd on February 27, 2008, 09:41:56 am
I figure the Vatican, in fascist Europe.  Eugenio Pacelli  AKA Pius XII was in office in our timeline from 1939 to 1958 and apparently never lost a night's sleep while tens of millions died.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Zen Redneck on February 27, 2008, 08:46:25 pm
No, Pius XII refugeed himself and the Vatican to Brownsville when the Nazis took Rome over.  They installed their own Pope.  We've yet to decide who that was, but it might be someone like Anthony Blunt or Kim Philby.

Steffan on March 07, 2008, 05:18:36 am
No, Pius XII refugeed himself and the Vatican to Brownsville when the Nazis took Rome over.  They installed their own Pope.  We've yet to decide who that was, but it might be someone like Anthony Blunt or Kim Philby.

Maybe the Nazi King of England?  They used to be Catholic until Henry VIII wanted a divorce that the Vatican wouldn't give him. 

No reason why Edward VII wouldn't convert, especially if the Pope there is wearing a red and black armband....   :-\

So who was the guy playing poker with the Pope, Cactus Jack, and Francis from Hoboken, anyway?  He looked a little like Joey Bishop....

???

-- Frank Zappa

Zen Redneck on June 04, 2008, 04:51:50 pm

wdg3rd on June 05, 2008, 04:28:35 pm
The poker player:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Allen_Smith

One of my heroes, simply because of two of his books.  The Compleat Practical Joker (very dangerous in the wrong or even the right hands) and The Great Chili Confrontation which in the long run inspired the restaurant I plan to open up in New Hampshire.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot