Rocketman on November 26, 2007, 08:39:53 pm
enemyofthestate:
  I did say "original prototype" and in that context your right and I was wrong.  I checked and found that the original evaluation aircraft designated YP-38 did indeed have 2 fiftys, 2 thirties and a 37 millimeter cannon.  The XP-38A pressurized canopy version had 4 fiftys and a 37mm cannon as did the first production version the P-38D which had the same firepower.  Ya got me.  :-[

Steffan on November 27, 2007, 12:20:48 am
Gotta admit, I really like Roddenberry's helmet.   ;D

Seriously, don't feel bad, Rocketman.  This is, after all, an AU, and just because they did it a particular way in our universe doesn't mean they had to do it the same way there.  Look at our favorite Rangers, for instance.  In our time line they would have cheerfully slit each others' throats (though I do recall Rockwell saying that he admired Malcolm X because they shared the same goal).   :-\
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Sean Roach on November 27, 2007, 04:47:07 am
I hadn't made the connection to the RL personages...nor did I make the connection to 'Win' Bears father...that is him, right?
...It was the "Mr. Bear was my father" line.  I managed to get a copy of "American Zone".

archy on November 27, 2007, 03:30:19 pm
It's interesting to note that the armament of Roddenberry's  P-38 is four .50 cal machine guns and a 23mm cannon.  I wonder how many people reading this knew that on the original prototype P-38 in our universe carried four .50 machine guns and a 37mm cannon.   The same cannon used by the P-39 Aircobra and the P-63 Kingcobra.   ;D  ;D

Unless the *23mm* is a typo, the most probable gun source would be a Russian ТКB-201/ VYa 23mm cannon of circa 1941, the ОКB-16/ NS-23 [Nudelman - Suranov] automatic aircraft cannon not entering service until mid 1944 or so. Info here: http://www.airpages.ru/cgi-bin/epg.pl?nav=ru14&page=vya23

Personally, I'd kind of wonder if the Texans could get their hands on enough examples of that P-38 [or YP-38] and their clever engineers and mechanics could replace those counterrotating Allisons with a couple of turboprops. No match for a *pure* jet, I suppose, but with that cluster of .50s and the Stormovik cannon, it'd certainly be an effective ground support bird just right for dicing. And certainly a match for armed Staggerwing Beechcraft.
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

archy on January 18, 2008, 04:46:37 pm
Gotta admit, I really like Roddenberry's helmet.   ;D

Which of course owes its origin to Bell Laboratories research into ejection seats during the early days of the X-planes programs.

Either those Bell engineers and techs followed the trend of other aviation industries and relocated to Texas, or the whole outfit did, up and moved kit and kaboodle  to Texas.

There were a lot of Mavericks in the early days of the aviation biz, and it was a Texan who gave us his name for that word. 'Course, Texas President Lindbergh's presence and personal contacts in the industry could have had a lot to do with it too.
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

anything