Mr. Mxyzptlk on November 13, 2007, 08:57:12 pm
As Rex pointed out, in this history, the Nazis were led by Ernst Rhoem, who was a known homosexual.

So logically they redeisgned the offiers battle dress uniform to look like something out of Mistress Mandys worst nightmare...
My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm...

enemyofthestate on November 13, 2007, 09:05:34 pm
As Rex pointed out, in this history, the Nazis were led by Ernst Rhoem, who was a known homosexual.

So logically they redeisgned the offiers battle dress uniform to look like something out of Mistress Mandys worst nightmare...

Maybe he was "entertaining" when he was called up and didn't have time to change.

Mr. Mxyzptlk on November 13, 2007, 10:53:49 pm
Maybe he was "entertaining" when he was called up and didn't have time to change.

Must... Drink... Vodka...

Must... Drink.. Image... Out.. Of... My brain!

SPOCK!!!

Rocketman on November 14, 2007, 06:17:02 pm
I know the feeling.  Although I didn't see the movie "Wild Hogs" with Tim Allen I did see on TV a preview of it (several times)  Imagine a fat, ugly man in his fifties with a t-shirt that was meant to be worn by someone sixty pounds lighter and his beer belly hanging out on a stage singing "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?"  He ruined that song for me.  Everytime I hear it on the radio instead of thinking of the Pussycat dolls, I get that image in my head.  :P Yeccccchhhhhh!!!!!

trainer on November 15, 2007, 08:09:11 am
I see one of the original young nazis has made an appearance, in an hawaii shirt of all things.

Steffan on November 17, 2007, 12:37:39 am
I see one of the original young nazis has made an appearance, in an hawaii shirt of all things.

Check back a couple of chapters or so.  Several of them traded their pink and gray tunics for Hawaiian shirts.   8)

If Walt used the airship for family and employee excursions, it'd stand to reason that there'd be a supply of casual clothing onboard.
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

archy on November 20, 2007, 10:38:15 am
Ok, I can deal with the Nazis decision to switch to more trendy colors, after all their choice of dull greys and browns may have contributed to their loosing in our timeline.  However I just can't see the troops following someone wearing something from Mistress Mandy's House of Leather...

Come on folks, we already KNOW they are the bad guys.  60 plus years of bad WWII movies have made that abundantly clear.  Why make them into comical badguys to boot?

Ernst Julius Röhm and his SA [Storm Detatchment] troopies did indeed demonstrate the darker tendencies of the German butch homosexual crowd, which was part of Hitler's excuse for the SA purge known in the US as *The night of the long knives* but to Germans as *Operation Hummingbird.* Not only was Röhm's force of tough-guy nances, tavern brawlers and veterans beginning to overshadow Himmler's SS, but  Röhm had thoughts of the SA replacing the German Army itself, a not-inconceivable idea considering the Versailles Treaty limitation on the size of the German Army to a force of but 100,000 men,  membership in the SA numbering a high of 2.9 million in August 1934, then dropping to 1.2 million in April 1938 following Röhm's purge and execution.

In January 1934, Röhm presented Blomberg with a memorandum demanding that SA should replace the army as the nation's ground forces, and that the Reichswehr become a training adjunct to the SA. President Paul von Hindenburg would not stand for this, and threatened to impose martial law if Hitler did not act against Röhm. And Himmler convinced Hitler that Röhm had thoughts of replacing Hitler as well, and that was pretty well that.

If in the RT world/time, the SA thrived, they might well have been the dominant power following Hitler's abdication and resettlement in Texas. Which itself had some minimal but real teleological links to events in this sometimes dreary world/time of ours....

SA background:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Long_Knives

Night of the Long Knives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmabteilung

More Butch Nazi leadership info: http://www.leaderu.com/jhs/lively.html
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

Mr. Mxyzptlk on November 21, 2007, 03:05:49 pm
If in the RT world/time, the SA thrived, they might well have been the dominant power following Hitler's abdication and resettlement in Texas. Which itself had some minimal but real teleological links to events in this sometimes dreary world/time of ours....

Which still doesn't explain why their battle dress uniforms featured spike heel boots...

Americans love the mythology of the cowboys but our soldiers wear BDUs instead of leather vests and cowboy boots.  Militaries, especially successful ones, worry about practicality, not fashion.

Steffan on November 21, 2007, 09:33:14 pm

Which still doesn't explain why their battle dress uniforms featured spike heel boots...

Americans love the mythology of the cowboys but our soldiers wear BDUs instead of leather vests and cowboy boots.  Militaries, especially successful ones, worry about practicality, not fashion.

Looking at the panels in question, it appears that the Nazis in "normal" uniforms are wearing standard issue jackboots.  Flat heels -- infantry had hobnails in the soles to reduce wear and to give them some traction.  I used to have a pair of those, myself. 

Clive's thigh-highs are a bit much -- he's overdoing the leatherboy image, but it's been noted in this thread that some of the Third Reich's current leadership are, um, quirky.   ;D   Quirky or not, however, his boots also appear to have flat heels. 

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is not something that a rational person does.  Doing so wearing spike heels would be even less rational.   :P
Is that a real poncho?  I mean, is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

-- Frank Zappa

Rocketman on November 22, 2007, 11:46:53 am
Steffen:
     Don't forget that every comic book heroine back in the 1960's and 70's it seems had costumes also had 5 or 6 inch heels.  In fact if I remember correctly a comic book called the "New Warriors" had a supervilliainess who's alter ego was a pole dancing stripper!  ;D

enemyofthestate on November 23, 2007, 12:54:41 am
Steffen:
     Don't forget that every comic book heroine back in the 1960's and 70's it seems had costumes also had 5 or 6 inch heels.  In fact if I remember correctly a comic book called the "New Warriors" had a supervilliainess who's alter ego was a pole dancing stripper!  ;D
In one of the trailers I saw for the new Beowulf movie I noticed Angelina Jolie (Grendel's mother) was wearing high heels.  Had to explan later to my wife why I was laughing so hard.

Steffan on November 24, 2007, 12:22:29 am
Steffen:

True.  I remember Batgirl and Wonder Woman quite well.  And, of course, the Sailor Senshi also wear high heels.  IIRC, Sailor Venus wore mary janes and Sailor Mars wore the kind of pumps that women invariably take off once they've arrived at work.   ;D

And Zatanna wore fishnet stockings and an abbreviated tuxedo.  The only major female superhero who didn't wear heels, from what I remember, was Sue Richards/Invisible Girl of the Fantastic Four. 

-- Frank Zappa

archy on November 27, 2007, 02:56:18 pm

Clearly you've never been around Stetson-wearing AirCav aircrew or the Special Forces advisors in the 1960s who wore full cowboy Buscadero gunbelts with single-action sixguns in 'em. Superior officers and MPs who enforce uniform regulations prohibiting such things were curiously absent in those combat zones.

Other armies have their own problems, including the incredibly casual Israeli tank crews and the Rhodesians who sometimes fought their war in T-shirts, shorts and running shoes and were no less effective for it. And Texans gave us the term *Maverick* for one who had little concern for silly regulations and customs.
Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

Zen Redneck on November 27, 2007, 04:35:57 pm
Not to mention Kekko Kamen....

Mr. Mxyzptlk on November 28, 2007, 04:51:23 pm
Clearly you've never been around Stetson-wearing AirCav aircrew or the Special Forces advisors in the 1960s who wore full cowboy Buscadero gunbelts with single-action sixguns in 'em.

A leather gun belt is a tad different than a leather garter belt...

Also uniform alterations for practical purposes are not the same as completely impractical uniforms worn so your officers stand out and are mocked by their enemies...

But hey, its your book.  Do as thou wilt.