If that "Azure Ringed Circle" appeared, would ya take that trip???

Hell Yeah
13 (76.5%)
Not for me
1 (5.9%)
I don't know
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

terry_freeman on February 14, 2011, 09:21:15 am
So let me just throw this crazy question out there to hear your feedback. This question is based on our upcoming move and search for a new house.

What style of house would you recommend for homeschooling? If you could pick a house style what do you think would best suit the homeschooling dynamics?

Also, are there any parts to your house that really hinder or help homeschooling?

Thanks for your help

I never really thought about home architecture in those terms, but I think I'd go with an open layout where children are involved with daily life. At the moment, I am babysitting two young ( 1 and 2 years of age ) children, and we have gates to keep them from getting into trouble, but they also come into the kitchen to watch and learn from the adults. As they get older, they'll participate - washing and cutting vegetables, stirring sauces, and so forth. My daughter's children stand on a chair and help with the cooking.

My approach is sort of a "directed unschooling", which seems like a contradiction in terms. A 100% unschooler would be very laid back, letting children learn whenever they wish. This works very well, I am told, but I'm not able to just sit back to that degree. However, I gently offer instruction; I don't push it.

This past weekend, I visited my daughter. Her children - who range from an infant to 8 years of age - came to me and asked to play games of five-in-a-row and Go. As we played, I thought of small lessons, appropriate to each child. I also showed them "triangular numbers" and showed the geometric idea behind the n(n+1)/2 formula. It was low-key and fun. If they weren't interested, we'd do something else.

The eight-year old beat me once at five-in-a-row. His 4- and 6- year old siblings understand the ideas of an "open 4", "open 3", and know that making two simultaneous "open 3s" is an winning tactic - but they can't pull it off yet. Their older brother did. :)

They'll not be challenging Lee Sedol or Lee Changho any time soon, but they're learning to play the game of Go.

I brought an abacus with me. I didn't offer any instruction - just let them play with it. The four older children, from 2.5 up to 8 years of age, all understand counting and addition ( and a lot more ) already; the 7 month-old is of course too young. I watched the kids play with the abacus, counting, adding, creating triangular shapes. Older kids showed things to younger kids.

Re: architecture, the home should also have private spaces. Sometimes people need to be alone for a while, to process things, to play quietly, to read.

The kids have lots of computers, and there is space to crowd around and watch what's going on. I also showed a few short Python programs - things like "range(2,101,2)" and "sum(range(2,101,2)" - and related them to the triangular numbers which were laid out on the Go board.