Rocketman on September 14, 2007, 06:57:24 pm
So Libby just told Tim that Susan is an alien.  Big big mistake on her part.   ;D

Sphynx on September 14, 2007, 11:02:05 pm
So Libby just told Tim that Susan is an alien. Big big mistake on her part. ;D

I don't think so.  I think this follows a corollary to Heinlein/Lazarus Long second method of lying successfully:

"Tell the exact truth and maybe all of it . . . . but tell it so unconvincingly that your listener is sure you are lying."1

The corollary would state that some statements of truth are so outside the common experience as to be discounted by most listeners.  Additionally, Libby is notably irritated with Susan and drunk, so that may discount her statement as well.

On the other hand, many people, especially those opposed to Susan's activities, may take the statement at face value, based on Susan's demonstrated powers.

1: (TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE, pg: 22; (c) Robert Heinlein, 1973; ISBN: 0-7394-1944-7)

Scott on September 20, 2007, 05:05:47 pm
No, this is a mistake -- remember Libby is drunk and angry at her sister. However, events will continue to follow in unexpected directions.

WailingLiquors on November 12, 2014, 01:10:25 am
Welcome . Great website. Congratulations

Faiyaeiz on January 05, 2015, 11:31:06 pm
I want more information.

customdesigned on January 06, 2015, 08:47:25 am

I don't think so.  I think this follows a corollary to Heinlein/Lazarus Long second method of lying successfully:

"Tell the exact truth and maybe all of it . . . . but tell it so unconvincingly that your listener is sure you are lying."1

That reminds me of the scene from "The Hiding Place", where the Nazi's demand, "Where are the Jews?" and Betsy says, "Under the floor."  This is the exact truth, but the SS is expecting a lie, and searches everywhere *except* under the floor.

anything