DrakBibliophile on February 07, 2019, 01:01:40 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1907

Was Monty a flesh-and-blood being?

This isn't the first time he's made a statement that implied that he was.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Skull the Troll on February 07, 2019, 02:00:16 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1907

Was Monty a flesh-and-blood being?

This isn't the first time he's made a statement that implied that he was.

Kinda makes you wonder why people don't just elect to convert well before they are old. It does seem like there is a wide suspicion among biological humans that it "will note really be them" It seems weird tho, they should experience literally hundreds of relationships of humans that become robots. Someone born in this day and age likely has thousands of direct living (and cybernetic) relatives. They all can meet their great-great-great-great-great-great grandmothers, probably as flesh and blood humans. At some point Great^6 Grandmama goes android and shes still her and doesn't report any loss.

customdesigned on February 07, 2019, 03:51:24 pm
Kinda makes you wonder why people don't just elect to convert well before they are old. It does seem like there is a wide suspicion among biological humans that it "will note really be them" It seems weird tho, they should experience literally hundreds of relationships of humans that become robots. Someone born in this day and age likely has thousands of direct living (and cybernetic) relatives. They all can meet their great-great-great-great-great-great grandmothers, probably as flesh and blood humans. At some point Great^6 Grandmama goes android and shes still her and doesn't report any loss.

The novel "The Last Christian" deals specifically with this issue.  https://www.amazon.com/Last-Christian-Novel-David-Gregory/dp/1400074975

SPOILER:

A major character discovers that while becoming (involuntarily) a cyborg has fully preserved memories and personality - the process has failed to capture a "spiritual" component, and he has lost conscious contact with that dimension. 

Apollo-Soyuz on February 07, 2019, 08:47:59 pm
non canon script says "human designs" which was changed to "intelligent design" in finished script strip. Hmm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

"emergent phenomena" -->  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

The vibe I've gotten from Scott's strip is that in the vibe verse, humans are meat-bots and while practitioners of religion are now rare but not unheard of, "classic" humans by and large still haven't shaken the idea of a "soul" existing and making them different than the arti-folk. Alyss herself stayed a meatbot for 500 years before she was killed, rejuvenating it and repairing it as needed.

page=1735 panel 4 has more of Diana's thoughts on having a soul. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:49:59 pm by Apollo-Soyuz »

lurkergao on February 08, 2019, 05:36:57 am
Monty has stated numerous times that he used to be biological. Presumeably human, though with their technology its entirely possible he was the family cat and was 'upgraded'. Mind you they havent said this is possible in QV universe so far.. but i dont see why that wouldnt be a thing. He could also be that space pirate boyfriend nicole used to have. But thats doubtful. Nicole's lovers never seem to work out for her. It is a bit weird actually isnt it? He clearly is more than just an employee of nicoles. I wonder where the ethical lines fall on building companions in the future? If you genetically grew a companion that was loyal intelligent non covetous or jealous and preferred nicole traits. And then hired them to guard your house at what point does it become slavery like the modified servant class in previous QV stories.? Is monty nicole's son perhaps? There are clearly problems with trust in this society arent there?. How do you keep somebody trustworthy to run your household for you for hundred of years? The only way you could make sure they werent a mole like hayami with unforeseen associations would be to build them yourself.

UncleRice on February 08, 2019, 10:29:07 am
In many ways I see Monty as being the most advance being of the group here due to his having multiple bodies for one intelligence. He is likely to have dozens of automated units running around doing this and that that needs to be done. Having a house and part of "you" can have many uses.

The house may actually be Monty and Alyss is a renter. It would make sense. She is often far off somewhere for months doing whatever, and needs to have her house secure and ready for her when she returns. Renting from someone who can make that happen is the easiest way to do that. Better if you can rent from someone who shares your goals.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Skull the Troll on February 08, 2019, 12:12:34 pm
Monty has stated numerous times that he used to be biological. Presumeably human, though with their technology its entirely possible he was the family cat and was 'upgraded'. Mind you they havent said this is possible in QV universe so far.. but i dont see why that wouldnt be a thing. He could also be that space pirate boyfriend nicole used to have. But thats doubtful. Nicole's lovers never seem to work out for her. It is a bit weird actually isnt it? He clearly is more than just an employee of nicoles. I wonder where the ethical lines fall on building companions in the future? If you genetically grew a companion that was loyal intelligent non covetous or jealous and preferred nicole traits. And then hired them to guard your house at what point does it become slavery like the modified servant class in previous QV stories.? Is monty nicole's son perhaps? There are clearly problems with trust in this society arent there?. How do you keep somebody trustworthy to run your household for you for hundred of years? The only way you could make sure they werent a mole like hayami with unforeseen associations would be to build them yourself.

Actually they have mentioned upgrading things. They called it "uplifting" and it was mentioned in the postlog to Seamus. They didnt mention if it could be done to something like a cat. 

I like your thoughts on the "servant" class. Its clearly been a long term problem in the QV world. I hope someday Scott does some story based around this idea.  Once again if I had any talent I'd write a story about what happened to Mars in QV.

lurkergao on February 10, 2019, 07:42:48 pm
The servant class is very interesting. What did nicole do for instance with the two servant class ppl she liberated from that executive? They wouldnt want to be anything but slaves unless she paid for some uplifting for them.

UncleRice on February 11, 2019, 06:37:00 am
The servant class is very interesting. What did nicole do for instance with the two servant class ppl she liberated from that executive? They wouldnt want to be anything but slaves unless she paid for some uplifting for them.
Indeed, they were just two of many of the minion associate class. Did they just go extinct or are they still slaving away on some corporate zone? And what of betas, the branch of humanity who just can't seem to function unless someone is telling them what to do?
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

lurkergao on February 12, 2019, 12:42:07 pm
Dont remember the betas. Moving back on topic a bit i wonder if that s&h that wook punched is an android. He doesnt look like it but it always struck me as weird that nicole and every other human that gets upgraded wants to look robotic. Seamus i can understand, that guy has changed his face nemerous times without a backward glance. Nicole maintained the same basic look for hundreds of years. If i lived in this world and had an accident i would want to look like me. Not robot me. Pinoccios are apparently shunned. But that makes more sense for people who were always androids not people who became androids. It also seems to go against the general do what you want with your body mod enthusiasm this society is so fond of.

Skull the Troll on February 13, 2019, 08:56:07 am
Dont remember the betas. Moving back on topic a bit i wonder if that s&h that wook punched is an android. He doesnt look like it but it always struck me as weird that nicole and every other human that gets upgraded wants to look robotic. Seamus i can understand, that guy has changed his face nemerous times without a backward glance. Nicole maintained the same basic look for hundreds of years. If i lived in this world and had an accident i would want to look like me. Not robot me. Pinoccios are apparently shunned. But that makes more sense for people who were always androids not people who became androids. It also seems to go against the general do what you want with your body mod enthusiasm this society is so fond of.

I got the vibe that L5'ers looked down on being a Pinocchio because youre supposed to be proud of who you are. It doesnt seem liek it would be about being "dishonest" with a hologram - everyone does that near everyday with their clothes. Nicole concealed that she was wearing a belt pack with her hologram as a matter of course.

anything