Skull the Troll on February 01, 2019, 07:14:10 am
Heres the new monstrous crime of the age. Steal someones backup - load it into an android. Brainwash that android, like the Cush did to Murphy and Seamus. At the same time, off the human. The android takes over for the human who had an "accident" and inherits all the humans stuff. If I had any talent at writing I'd do a fan fiction.  :P

UncleRice on February 01, 2019, 11:08:35 am
Theoretically they could take her backup and use it to anticipate what she is going to do next via a mathematical model. It would potentially put them one step ahead of her whenever she is making all of the decisions. That means she needs other people making decisions to not be walking into traps and decoys all the time.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

lurkergao on February 01, 2019, 04:27:13 pm
Yea i'm pretty sure this conspiracy has to do with exploiting backups. There all types of things you could do with backups. If you hooked it up to a simulation you could get all their banking logins for instance by watching the backup log into their bank. S&h is probably involved because they store backups as an assurance company. As one of the largest such companies they have the most to gain by exploiting that personal info.

0z79 on February 01, 2019, 08:32:11 pm
Monty (Python/Panda/Panther) is a gentleman and a scholar.

Don't sass me on this. I'll fight you over it.

You're not drunk, I'M DRUNK! I mean.... :p

Apollo-Soyuz on February 01, 2019, 08:37:12 pm
Back in this thread I'm talking about encrypted brain backups with the assurance agency holding one part and a 3rd party holding the key

Nope! page=1905 shows they keep them in the equivalent of a USB stick (cube) and leave them around the house too.  Backing up their brains like it was 500 S.A.!

We've also gone from hyper cubes to hyper-cubexahedron, to hexagon Junction Matrixes, to back-up storage cubes. Hmm.

Also, it's obvious that tools to "interrogate" or "dump" a brain backup exist.

So the bad guys know everything that Diana knows since her last backup -- but seeing as how casual she's been about backups her latest one might have even been before she even took the job.

Though obviously all her super secret and secure communications with Zandar, all her bank codes, and control over her personal flyer, doors to home and office, secret jump gate codes, and the like are now all exposed.

Apollo-Soyuz on February 01, 2019, 08:45:09 pm
You forgot Porcupine, page=1863

Monty (Python/Panda/Panther)...

Redwood Elf on February 01, 2019, 10:08:00 pm
Well we can be pretty sure that her backup was taken by whomever took the android's backup. The game is afoot...or a hand...or whatever appendage our sleuth prefers I suppose.

0z79 on February 02, 2019, 03:25:34 am

....I SUPPOSE correcting isn't sassing. :p

lurkergao on February 02, 2019, 11:54:44 am
This cant be the first time somebody has gotten their backup usb stolen. In the hundreds of years since they started brain uploading they must have some protections on the things. Or a way to scrub certain data from them. Such as diana's illegal hacking exploits or her bank info. Maybe diana is still a noob tho and didnt practice proper infosec. Encryption would make sense but you want somebody to revive you, somebody needs to have that key. Probably an assurance agency. Also makes me wonder if s&h started brain peeking to solve crimes and it turned into a slippery slope.

MirrorField on February 03, 2019, 05:15:32 am
Heres the new monstrous crime of the age. Steal someones backup - load it into an android. Brainwash that android, like the Cush did to Murphy and Seamus. At the same time, off the human. The android takes over for the human who had an "accident" and inherits all the humans stuff. If I had any talent at writing I'd do a fan fiction.  :P

Which is why one would expect the creation and utilization of a specialized backup companies to securely hold people's backups for regular updates (after authentication) and handling resurrections under contractually agreed-upon plans (eg. verification of death or x years since last contact or whatever with escrowed funds to pay for new android body, etc).

Your backup is a possession as valuable as your life.

Lexxus on February 03, 2019, 11:54:32 am

and was once a meatbag (page=1301)

Apollo-Soyuz on February 03, 2019, 07:28:43 pm
The jury is still out.

page=1861

and was once a meatbag (page=1301)

My fan theory is that Monty is a tin-man/AI chimera, much like the other Alyss is now (page=1377)