Sean Roach on January 24, 2019, 11:12:54 am
I've read the transcript, but I can't shake how similar the house, as drawn, resembles the Murphy gates used to shortcut across the city.

UncleRice on January 24, 2019, 04:28:06 pm
I've read the transcript, but I can't shake how similar the house, as drawn, resembles the Murphy gates used to shortcut across the city.
It does at that. Murphy gates for dolls? Could be a whole network of them around.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 25, 2019, 10:40:34 am
I guess we're at, "Why go through a process to confiscate it for unpaid debts when you can just bribe someone?" right now.

So, do you think that Hayami might just have a brain backup hidden somewhere in the doll house? The "It's killing me" quote is interesting.

So if someone flees to avoid paying a judgment, but the debtee somehow manages to get a hold of a brain backup, does that person have a right to reboot the person and then compel the copy to pay the debt?

Heck, is the backup itself considered "property" and can the brain image be searched without actually rebooting the person? Does a brain image have a "right" to privacy (even if it looks like the person was murdered?)

Also, Today's strip (page=1902) argues against the prior stated canon that Arti-folk aren't generally as creative as folk made of out of meat.

Alyss is still owed a massive judgment from Hayami, If she thinks about it, they can probably get it. I don't think Monty would be happy if it just waltzed in to the house without being scanned.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 25, 2019, 10:51:15 am
Compare:

"The Junction Matrix"  https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1766

and

"Killing joke" https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1901

I agree.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 25, 2019, 10:56:40 am
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1803 Another hexagon "emergency" gate in Juan's office to compare to the doll house.

Skull the Troll on January 25, 2019, 04:42:51 pm
I guess we're at, "Why go through a process to confiscate it for unpaid debts when you can just bribe someone?" right now.

So, do you think that Hayami might just have a brain backup hidden somewhere in the doll house? The "It's killing me" quote is interesting.

So if someone flees to avoid paying a judgment, but the debtee somehow manages to get a hold of a brain backup, does that person have a right to reboot the person and then compel the copy to pay the debt?

Heck, is the backup itself considered "property" and can the brain image be searched without actually rebooting the person? Does a brain image have a "right" to privacy (even if it looks like the person was murdered?)

Also, Today's strip (page=1902) argues against the prior stated canon that Arti-folk aren't generally as creative as folk made of out of meat.

Alyss is still owed a massive judgment from Hayami, If she thinks about it, they can probably get it. I don't think Monty would be happy if it just waltzed in to the house without being scanned.

I don't think they would be liable. They seem to treat going from Human to Android as being an inheritor based on what happened to Seamus, I don't know why android to android would be any different. I suppose there might be something having to do with intent, like in your example if you kill yourself to avoid debt, you dont.

UncleRice on January 26, 2019, 09:17:35 am
The date of the backup is probably relevant, otherwise artifolk could just do a backup and suicide to dodge any debt that cost more than getting brought back. It would make any loan of any size an extraordinary risk. Then again, that would probably be a good thing. Large amounts of debt can be a big problem economically, so maybe it provides a natural limiting of debt to the equation.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on January 29, 2019, 10:42:02 am

I don't think they would be liable. They seem to treat going from Human to Android as being an inheritor based on what happened to Seamus, I don't know why android to android would be any different. I suppose there might be something having to do with intent, like in your example if you kill yourself to avoid debt, you dont.

Diana didn't go the route of claiming an unpaid debt to Alyss, because she is still operating under the fiction that she's just doing research for a documentary, not working directly for Alyss Roaz.
Confidential investigation, remember?

Apollo-Soyuz on January 30, 2019, 07:46:50 pm
I don't think you gave us a strip that explicitly gave "research for a documentary" as her cover story. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember it and the non-canon text that google scrapes doesn't give me any hits either.

Anyway, a bribe works, and she's got it now.

I thought she was just "investigating her death" and the person hiring Juan's office is confidential.

(I'm still working on the fan theory that Hayami faked her own death because her working relationship with the various baddies was blown and it's worth ditching her murder debt anyway.)

Diana didn't go the route of claiming an unpaid debt to Alyss, because she is still operating under the fiction that she's just doing research for a documentary, not working directly for Alyss Roaz.

DrakBibliophile on January 30, 2019, 07:52:16 pm
When she 'interviewed' that big media star, she told him that it was research of a "doc" (ie documentary/paper).

I don't think you gave us a strip that explicitly gave "research for a documentary" as her cover story. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember it and the non-canon text that google scrapes doesn't give me any hits either.

Anyway, a bribe works, and she's got it now.

I thought she was just "investigating her death" and the person hiring Juan's office is confidential.

(I'm still working on the fan theory that Hayami faked her own death because her working relationship with the various baddies was blown and it's worth ditching her murder debt anyway.)

Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on January 30, 2019, 09:07:06 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1872  # Wickberg interview

>'docu project'

no wonder my search string didn't work.

When she 'interviewed' that big media star, she told him that it was research of a "doc" (ie documentary/paper).

anything