DrakBibliophile on January 07, 2019, 12:12:57 am
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1894

And Senior Field Agent René Belbenoit shows up.

Perhaps we'll learn Wednesday if he's friend or foe.  ;)
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Coyoty on January 07, 2019, 04:44:59 am
He may be Smith & Holder's internal affairs and investigating violations within the company.  Alyss may know him as someone else, if he's who I think he is, from when she was Nicole and he was a female agent of S&H.

Skull the Troll on January 07, 2019, 09:37:29 am
He may be Smith & Holder's internal affairs and investigating violations within the company.  Alyss may know him as someone else, if he's who I think he is, from when she was Nicole and he was a female agent of S&H.

That would be awesome, I also suspected that she wasn't really dead, the comic seemed to specifically leave that possibility open. If its true its the only thing that might make me start to trust S&H again. So far they've been pretty much the private version of the Luna Government from the old comic.

DrakBibliophile on January 07, 2019, 10:12:57 am
How did the comic leave that open?

While she may have had a "back up", I don't remember it being mentioned.

That would be awesome, I also suspected that she wasn't really dead, the comic seemed to specifically leave that possibility open. If its true its the only thing that might make me start to trust S&H again. So far they've been pretty much the private version of the Luna Government from the old comic.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

lurkergao on January 07, 2019, 01:47:52 pm
Any time you disney death a character (falling off cliff, imprisoned for eternity, reportedly killed offscreen) you're giving an opening for bringing them back. Sorta a quantum super positionitional state of being alive or dead until observed. That being said i dont think this is that character. I'm going to put 5 internets down that he is just politely introducing himself before breaking her arm again and hauling her off to space jail. Ah but maybe not.. we'll see. Dont equate smith and holder with good guys just because antigone stone got to be a hero for nicole. If murphies previous owners hadnt been idiots stone would have been after nicole and buford for murder. And stone had almost certainly dragged escaped androids that hadnt made it to L5 back to their owners at some point in her career. QV universe has some pretty evil laws and S&H is in the business of enforcing those laws. At best you can say they probably stop intergalactic wars from breaking out at worst they are bobba fetts working for vader. Edit: what if instead of antigone this guy is actually Hayami?! Dun dun dun!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:14:29 pm by lurkergao »

UncleRice on January 08, 2019, 10:11:41 am
Well, the good news is, he is being polite. Being polite before critically injuring someone is rather rare.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on January 08, 2019, 10:51:44 am
Any time you disney death a character (falling off cliff, imprisoned for eternity, reportedly killed offscreen) you're giving an opening for bringing them back. Sorta a quantum super positionitional state of being alive or dead until observed. That being said i dont think this is that character. I'm going to put 5 internets down that he is just politely introducing himself before breaking her arm again and hauling her off to space jail. Ah but maybe not.. we'll see. Dont equate smith and holder with good guys just because antigone stone got to be a hero for nicole. If murphies previous owners hadnt been idiots stone would have been after nicole and buford for murder. And stone had almost certainly dragged escaped androids that hadnt made it to L5 back to their owners at some point in her career. QV universe has some pretty evil laws and S&H is in the business of enforcing those laws. At best you can say they probably stop intergalactic wars from breaking out at worst they are bobba fetts working for vader. Edit: what if instead of antigone this guy is actually Hayami?! Dun dun dun!

In Antigone Stone's day, Smith & Holder was much less like a police force and more like the Jedi Knights operating as an insurance agency. Unless contracted to do so with slave owners (which they didn't do as a matter of policy, as they were based in L-5 after all) they weren't in the business of returning escaped slaves. Neither were they in the business of liberating them.

But now it's 500 years later and shit happens.

UncleRice on January 09, 2019, 01:54:49 pm
He is still maintaining a civil track. If he is indeed speaking the truth here, this bobby will need to watch his back. Maybe Diane will provide enough distraction for him to complete his investigation without interference.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

lurkergao on January 09, 2019, 06:48:16 pm

[/quote]

In Antigone Stone's day, Smith & Holder was much less like a police force and more like the Jedi Knights operating as an insurance agency. Unless contracted to do so with slave owners (which they didn't do as a matter of policy, as they were based in L-5 after all) they weren't in the business of returning escaped slaves. Neither were they in the business of liberating them.

[/quote]

Ah i see, assumed they would sorta have to do so to operate in places where robot slavery isnt considered slavery. Murphy had the help of altruistic strangers but i would think under normal circumstances she would at the very least need to steal transportation or money to purchase a ticket and papers to get off world. S&h goes to retrieve property but fugitive robot cant pay damages or return vehicle she is escaping in. She couldnt even contact s friendly charitable robot organization on L5 without some foreknowledge of it or reaching L5. Does s&h have to return robot to place of crime to face justice? What if murphy killed somebody escaping? Which seems like a common response to suddenly being freed; to kill their tormentors. Doesnt s&h have to bring escaped murders back to where they committed their crime?  They did for Seamus who had committed crimes in nations that didnt even exist anymore. Also the problem with not contracting with slave owners is that they could own slaves after contracting with s&h and s&h would have a hard time not paying out on a contract for a lost robot on a world where the courts rule that robots are property. If owning a robot suddenly invalidates the contract did seamus invalidate his s&h insurance because he owned murphy for a day? It seems a really difficult line for s&h to walk neutrally no surprise that they would change..

Skull the Troll on January 10, 2019, 09:55:25 am

[/quote]

Ah i see, assumed they would sorta have to do so to operate in places where robot slavery isnt considered slavery. Murphy had the help of altruistic strangers but i would think under normal circumstances she would at the very least need to steal transportation or money to purchase a ticket and papers to get off world. S&h goes to retrieve property but fugitive robot cant pay damages or return vehicle she is escaping in. She couldnt even contact s friendly charitable robot organization on L5 without some foreknowledge of it or reaching L5. Does s&h have to return robot to place of crime to face justice? What if murphy killed somebody escaping? Which seems like a common response to suddenly being freed; to kill their tormentors. Doesnt s&h have to bring escaped murders back to where they committed their crime?  They did for Seamus who had committed crimes in nations that didnt even exist anymore. Also the problem with not contracting with slave owners is that they could own slaves after contracting with s&h and s&h would have a hard time not paying out on a contract for a lost robot on a world where the courts rule that robots are property. If owning a robot suddenly invalidates the contract did seamus invalidate his s&h insurance because he owned murphy for a day? It seems a really difficult line for s&h to walk neutrally no surprise that they would change..
[/quote]

At a certain point even a libratarian society effectively becomes a government. The ending of the Moon is a Harsh Mistress had a really bittersweet one of those.

ImmortalFool on January 10, 2019, 02:15:47 pm

Anyone else think something odd has happened with Wook's and Diana's right hands in panel 3 of 1895?
Looks like they've merged?  Or is my brain just misinterpreting things?

lurkergao on January 11, 2019, 12:14:02 am
I just noticed that he has moved within arm breaking distance .. he's smooth this one. I'm actually wondering if s&h has that blue shield mentality that is so common in police forces. Since diana's boss was ex s&h perhaps the overzealousness of the agents in her office being retialatory from them really thinking that diana had offed her retired s&h boss. She had plenty of motive apparently. Both being setup as her bosses heir and apparently him having a history of sexually harassing women in her position.Its hard for me to believe that someone like diana could hire proffessional assasins. But maybe it would seem likely from what they were shown about her. It would be weird if s&h beat cops werent at least a little pissed about one of their own having this happen to them. It's probably why they returned him instead of burying him in an asteroid somewhere.

Coyoty on January 11, 2019, 01:26:27 am
So much for my Antigone theory.  She wouldn't have behaved like that.

After that attack, the media might cover her lawsuit against S&H as the Zut Suit.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 11, 2019, 08:05:04 am
I'm not getting why "Get out of my way" spoken in French is what triggered Belbenoit.  It can't be that suddenly he realizes that Diana knows about his RPLD connections?

Maybe getting close and acting civil before trying to grab Diana was the plan all along?

lurkergao on January 11, 2019, 11:55:26 am
If so it was a pretty poor plan. He is likely heavily physically augmented. Possibly he didnt expect wook to be so as well? He's lost his grip on the suspect/person he plans to murder. Its also quite possible that he is not alone. He wasnt detected presumeably using a chameleon field. There could be 2 other s&h flanking diana and wook with chameleon fields. With him acting as a distraction/detaining diana while the other two deal with wook.

anything