Apollo-Soyuz on November 26, 2018, 02:43:23 pm
I'm not exactly sure what services would be provided, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

That looks a little like a borg alcove in the background.

I wonder if "looniespeak" is a catch-all for "strange english accent"? Stefan missed "Talk Like a Pirate" Day by a wide margin.

Coyoty on November 27, 2018, 05:02:28 am
Looniespeak is the dialect of the people of Earth's moon.

Apollo-Soyuz on November 27, 2018, 10:04:15 am
Please see page=1337

A female spyder starts talking in (classic) Loonie, much like back when Nicole was in jail on Luna. The thing is that she switches from Portanglish to Loonie because it more closely matches the  Zytemondish that Diana inadvertently switched to.

The hint I'm getting here is that English is a dead language, and the successor is Portanglish, much like Latin is a dead language and has evolved into Italian (and others). So anytime anyone speaks a bastardized English, people assume it's Loonie.

For all we know, Stefan is actually talking like a Portanglish pirate, except for the hint in the  "thought box" that says: Stefan's weirdly accented dialect of Looniespeak was throwing me off.

Portanglish is more accuratly pidgin of Portuguese, (Spanish?) and English. The gist I'm getting is that (in Oz at least) Portanglish is the lingua francas, Loonie is fairly common, and there are small enclaves of French and other languages. Dong and his nieces seem to think and normally speak in a different unnamed language, but they know  Portanglish fairly well.

Apollo-Soyuz on November 27, 2018, 10:15:42 am
I also want to add that the frilly shirt he's wearing along with other clothing reminds me of a pirate too.

I'm guessing Stefan is a homage somehow to a vblogger or other person in the libertarian community (much like Diana is herself) or a game character, but I'm not picking up on who or what.

Skull the Troll on November 27, 2018, 12:12:32 pm
I'm not exactly sure what services would be provided, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

That looks a little like a borg alcove in the background.

I wonder if "looniespeak" is a catch-all for "strange english accent"? Stefan missed "Talk Like a Pirate" Day by a wide margin.

I'm thinking she's just assuming pirate must have descended from Loonie, which itself descended from 1337-speak. Diana clearly isn't up to date on 700 year old dialects. She'll have to work on that. :)

Coyoty on November 28, 2018, 04:49:50 am
I also want to add that the frilly shirt he's wearing along with other clothing reminds me of a pirate too.

I'm guessing Stefan is a homage somehow to a vblogger or other person in the libertarian community (much like Diana is herself) or a game character, but I'm not picking up on who or what.

Or a homage to Bill Hader's character Stefan on Saturday Night Live.

Apollo-Soyuz on November 28, 2018, 05:16:39 pm
https://www.quantumvibe.com/index?page=1835

>Juan (thoughtsend, distorted): … older … Belbenoit … Château Périlleux ...

Scott on November 28, 2018, 08:31:47 pm
Please see page=1337

A female spyder starts talking in (classic) Loonie, much like back when Nicole was in jail on Luna. The thing is that she switches from Portanglish to Loonie because it more closely matches the  Zytemondish that Diana inadvertently switched to.

The hint I'm getting here is that English is a dead language, and the successor is Portanglish, much like Latin is a dead language and has evolved into Italian (and others). So anytime anyone speaks a bastardized English, people assume it's Loonie.

For all we know, Stefan is actually talking like a Portanglish pirate, except for the hint in the  "thought box" that says: Stefan's weirdly accented dialect of Looniespeak was throwing me off.

Portanglish is more accuratly pidgin of Portuguese, (Spanish?) and English. The gist I'm getting is that (in Oz at least) Portanglish is the lingua francas, Loonie is fairly common, and there are small enclaves of French and other languages. Dong and his nieces seem to think and normally speak in a different unnamed language, but they know  Portanglish fairly well.

You got the right gist, Apollo. Or is that "got the gist right"? What's a "gist" anyway?

DrakBibliophile on November 28, 2018, 10:20:33 pm
Definition of gist
: the ground (see ground entry 1 sense 2a) of a legal action
: the main point or part : essence
the gist of an argument

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gist

You got the right gist, Apollo. Or is that "got the gist right"? What's a "gist" anyway?
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on November 29, 2018, 08:24:12 am
In this sense you could swap "gist" with "essence".

The sum of all the hints from all the strips about Oz so far leads me to make these assumptions

Apollo-Soyuz on November 29, 2018, 11:23:32 am
The other odd part is that this Spyder is a 4-armed variant. Most of them we've seen have six.

Please see page=1337

DrakBibliophile on November 29, 2018, 12:46:35 pm
???

Just checked and she has six arms.

The other odd part is that this Spyder is a 4-armed variant. Most of them we've seen have six.

Please see page=1337
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

anything