Coyoty on August 10, 2018, 01:40:44 am
Juan has assigned all his assets to Diana, and that could be more than she realizes.  She may have collapsed because of the enormity of his injuries, but it might be he made a backup of his mind and she's receiving a copy.  He'll tell her everything he knows up to the backup, but it probably won't include information about the beating, just everything leading up to it.  She's going to need it, because now she's going to be the target of his attackers.

Skull the Troll on August 10, 2018, 04:23:23 pm
Juan has assigned all his assets to Diana, and that could be more than she realizes.  She may have collapsed because of the enormity of his injuries, but it might be he made a backup of his mind and she's receiving a copy.  He'll tell her everything he knows up to the backup, but it probably won't include information about the beating, just everything leading up to it.  She's going to need it, because now she's going to be the target of his attackers.

Indeed. I'm assuming that they are getting him better rather than going tinman because he needs to make that choice himself. That said I think there's a good chance when he gets out he decides it for himself. I wonder if there is custom on what to do if hes only a bit better than a vegetable and "chooses" not to go tinman even though he doesn't really have the mental capacity to make the decision. I'm imagining someone reduced to a two year old level who is just confused and scared like some Alzheimer's or TBI patients we have today. No one would want to leave someone in such a state if there was another option, but that's a big decision to take out of someones hands. Hopefully. he has a DPOA. 

UncleRice on August 11, 2018, 09:03:14 am

Indeed. I'm assuming that they are getting him better rather than going tinman because he needs to make that choice himself. That said I think there's a good chance when he gets out he decides it for himself. I wonder if there is custom on what to do if hes only a bit better than a vegetable and "chooses" not to go tinman even though he doesn't really have the mental capacity to make the decision. I'm imagining someone reduced to a two year old level who is just confused and scared like some Alzheimer's or TBI patients we have today. No one would want to leave someone in such a state if there was another option, but that's a big decision to take out of someones hands. Hopefully. he has a DPOA.
This too may have just fallen on Diana to decide.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Coyoty on August 12, 2018, 04:41:06 am

This too may have just fallen on Diana to decide.

The terms of the assignment are that she has the same authority as next of kin.

0z79 on August 12, 2018, 04:06:38 pm
This sounds a lot like power of attorney, in which case it's fully Diana's call to make. I don't think Scott's futuristic Libertarian almost-utopia works quite like that, though.

Skull the Troll on August 15, 2018, 06:51:32 pm
This sounds a lot like power of attorney, in which case it's fully Diana's call to make. I don't think Scott's futuristic Libertarian almost-utopia works quite like that, though.

Hard to say- It strikes me that they would consider next-of-kin to be able to make the decision in the authors world, but what happens if the heirs (if there are more than one) disagree? Look at that case in Flordia a few years back to see the effects of the different between "heir" and "official medical designee" The spouse wanted life support cut off, the parents didn't. It was in court for years.

UncleRice on August 16, 2018, 09:23:07 am

Hard to say- It strikes me that they would consider next-of-kin to be able to make the decision in the authors world, but what happens if the heirs (if there are more than one) disagree? Look at that case in Flordia a few years back to see the effects of the different between "heir" and "official medical designee" The spouse wanted life support cut off, the parents didn't. It was in court for years.
Sounds like a "Choose your friends carefully," sort of thing.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

customdesigned on August 17, 2018, 09:07:34 am

The spouse wanted life support cut off, the parents didn't. It was in court for years.

If you're talking about Terri Schiavo, there was no life support involved other than food and water.  The spouse claimed she "wouldn't want to be a vegetable" and wanted her euthanized.  The parents wanted to feed and care for her.  She was unable to feed herself.   The court ordered an armed guard to prevent anyone attempting to bring her water while she slowly dehydrated over the course of a week (indicating her robust physical health despite the brain damage). 

Skull the Troll on August 17, 2018, 11:27:00 am

The spouse wanted life support cut off, the parents didn't. It was in court for years.

If you're talking about Terri Schiavo, there was no life support involved other than food and water.  The spouse claimed she "wouldn't want to be a vegetable" and wanted her euthanized.  The parents wanted to feed and care for her.  She was unable to feed herself.   The court ordered an armed guard to prevent anyone attempting to bring her water while she slowly dehydrated over the course of a week (indicating her robust physical health despite the brain damage).

Yup we meant the same thing. Hospitals consider IV Food and Water life support. And regardless of how you feel about that the point is that if she had declared someone a DPOA there wouldn't have been a fight over it. Juan might end up the same way. Physically fine, but with brain damage.

anything