Quinlan73 on May 16, 2018, 11:42:47 am
Strip 1795:

Someone needs to taze this nitwit asap.

lurkergao on May 17, 2018, 08:29:10 am
I wonder if smith and holder has the legal right to detain her in this society? They are sorta cops, crooked cops in this instance. If they start lobbing around accusations at Diana does she have a higher authority to appeal to before she dies in her prison cell like Hayame did? On an opposite side of the spectrum since this guy has put hands on her without making any sorta official arrest does Diana have the right to taze him like any other creep on the street?

DrakBibliophile on May 17, 2018, 11:03:22 am
While the male S&H guy seems like a jerk, the woman seems shocked at his actions.

As for "being crooked", IMO it is too soon to say that they are.

While there's reasons to not trust S&H, the problems may be on the higher levels of S&H not on the level of these two.

Still, the male may still be a jerk.  ;)

I wonder if smith and holder has the legal right to detain her in this society? They are sorta cops, crooked cops in this instance. If they start lobbing around accusations at Diana does she have a higher authority to appeal to before she dies in her prison cell like Hayame did? On an opposite side of the spectrum since this guy has put hands on her without making any sorta official arrest does Diana have the right to taze him like any other creep on the street?
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Sean Roach on May 17, 2018, 11:05:52 am
It's also possible that S&H are honest, but conservative and a bit risk averse, (they have been in business a long time now, and probably bank a lot on their reputation,) but that the corporation now leaks like a sieve. Everything they report, the bad guys know.

Quinlan73 on May 18, 2018, 09:07:54 am
Neat trick. Not unlike some personal defense devices today.

macnut on May 18, 2018, 10:23:01 am
If these guys are the equivalent of cops, they don't seem to have much authority compared to cops of today. If Diana had pulled those tricks on today's cops, she'd be facing arrest at the very least. At the most, she'd be lucky to survive.

But in this time, she makes the "cops" stand down. Yeah, I'm really starting to like the QVerse.  ;)
The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

UncleRice on May 18, 2018, 10:47:14 am
Insert one attitude adjustment. It's important to remember who writes your paycheck.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

lurkergao on May 18, 2018, 12:52:47 pm
I dont think the black lady is in on it. The guy seems like he might be. And their organization is crooked. They were involved in an attempted murder and then covered it up and shushed the victim. I'm talking about juan's furry friend. They are also somehow involved in hayame's murder/escape. If diana had gone to her apartment she'd probably never be seen again.

lurkergao on May 18, 2018, 12:59:29 pm
Smith and holder seemed to have existed as a sort of bounty hunter abitration corporation back in antigone stone days. A real societal need since criminals can just live in space with impunity. And different governments cant agree on what the law is in space.

0z79 on May 18, 2018, 04:08:15 pm
Smith and holder seemed to have existed as a sort of bounty hunter abitration corporation back in antigone stone days. A real societal need since criminals can just live in space with impunity. And different governments cant agree on what the law is in space.

"Look out for #1, don't drift through #2"?

Sean Roach on May 18, 2018, 04:11:26 pm

Smith and Holder is an "Assurance Agency", which seems to be some part arbitration service, some part armed guards, some part private detectives. Probably pretty close to the ones described in L. Neil Smith's stories, (one of which used to be on this 'site.)

I don't know if they're crooked, at least to the point of being in league with those who want to inflict government upon everyone else. I suspect it's like the companies of today keeping quiet about data breaches; it looks bad if it happens to them, and could cause them to lose clients.

There is an old saying about good men doing nothing. I suspect it applies in this case: That Smith and Holder, or at least the local manager, has decided to look after the short-term and intermediate-term bottom line over the common good and getting to the bottom of a conspiracy that they, too, are a victim of.

customdesigned on May 21, 2018, 11:01:50 am
Looks to me like the S&H agents are playing "good cop, bad cop" - and doing it pretty well. 

anything