Frank75 on August 12, 2007, 09:14:29 pm
Hi folks,

first a bit about me: I'm not an objectivist myself, but I'm interested in that topic and can even claim that I read all of Atlas Shrugged. More than once.

But this ain't Objectivism, no sir. Ayn Rand was against all kind of mysticism - saying that religion can't help to solve problems in this world.

But where have you got now? A superheroine who will solve all our problems single-handedly, while everyone else can sit on their ass. For what is that kind of story good? Ayn Rand would've spit before your feet.

And where the hell did Susan get her powers? Her parents were humans after all.

aditantimedh on August 13, 2007, 05:30:30 am
Hell no, this isn't Objectivism.  Susan is not an Objectivist in any definition of the word.

And it was clearly stated that Susan and Libby's parents were aliens.

Rocketman on August 13, 2007, 12:46:42 pm
aditantimedh is correct.  Susan acts as neither hero nor villian any more than a hurricane does.  She is a force unto herself and acts with ultimate force for her own reasons only.  A libertarian or objectivist in this case works with those around them to mutual benefit of all.  Susan doesn't fit into that class.  ;D

Scott on August 18, 2007, 10:40:35 pm
I would say "I'm sorry that all our books don't fit into your ideological straight jacket" but actually I'm not sorry. This is intentional.

The mission of Big Head Press is not simply to deliver libertarian sermons dressed up as graphic stories. Our slogan "Thoughtful Stories" means that we seek to present stories that Make You Think.  Frank and I are just about as hard-core libertarian as you can get, but we see value in a more broad-based approach to exploring ethical/political questions.

Adi's politics are pretty much "Old Labour," or in American parlance, radical (and somewhat ideosyncratic) progressive. Mike Baron is a likewise ideosyncratic variety of conservative. Neil Smith is nearly as libertarian as I am (his only failing is his strange fixation with electoral politics). All three of these writers can co-exist in our drawing room, because they are thoughtful people who can articulate their opinions in entertaining ways. And they can write books with themes that are, broadly speaking, consistent with an individualist outlook.

We do have our boundaries. You won't see any Stalinists or crypto-fascists here. You won't see any glorification of state power, or of military prowess, or of imperial ambition; nor any themes of fatalism, enslavement (except liberation therefrom), or masochism. What we seek to do is stimulate thinking, challenge assumptions, and generally stir things up.

Fnord.

geekWithA.45 on November 12, 2007, 09:05:47 am
No, it's not Objectivism.

An omnipotent and invulnerable protagonist implementing Leftist dogma against bad guys who are caricatures of the Right whose villiany is defined in terms of thinly vieled Bush Derangement Syndrome is about as  pure Leftist  juvenile wish fullfillment as you can get.

Color me unimpressed.

aditantimedh on November 12, 2007, 12:45:36 pm
I have to say, based on my research, the figures of the Right in the story aren't as caricatured as you guys think...

I'm not really exaggerating their mentality here.

DarianW on November 12, 2007, 03:22:11 pm
Personally, I like that Susan is trying to solve real problems that the world faces while some kind of shadowy government agency (I actually don't know who they are - maybe I missed something) tries to thwart her.  It's a lot more entertaining to me than a hero facing off against some freelance supervillians with silly costumes and sillier plots.  And so what if the main character leans more left than you do?  I don't see why this should make the story unenjoyable.

Besides, if Susan was really PC she probably wouldn't wear leather, smoke cigarettes, or kill without mercy.

DarianW on November 12, 2007, 03:25:26 pm
And oh yeah, I don't get why the story is expected to be objectivist?

aditantimedh on November 12, 2007, 03:51:37 pm
As i said, there's no objectivist ideology in the story at all.

And it's deliberate the shadowy agency is never named.  The most secret ones never are, because they're not supposed to exist, which makes them the most dangerous.

enemyofthestate on November 12, 2007, 10:33:17 pm
FWIW, I kind of see her as what would happen if Superman got really drunk, knocked up Ann Coulter, and the baby was raised by a couple in San Francisco.

Scott on November 12, 2007, 10:50:00 pm
Actually, Adi's set-up of a shadowy thug-agency overseen by a secret cabal of world leaders coincides rather closely with a number of right-wing conspiracy theories.

Which goes back to my original point (made somewhere else) that "left" and "right" are not helpful categories for thinking about politics and power -- they often serve to divide people who have more in common than they might realize.

aditantimedh on November 12, 2007, 11:35:34 pm
At the end of the day, it's not about Left or Right, it's about who had power and who doesn't, and who has the most power.

And this point in the story is about those in power finally encountering a party with more power than them.

Rocketman on November 13, 2007, 10:19:47 am
Again, aditantimedh is right.  Despite all the pronouncements, despite all the fake hand wringing, crocodile tears and phony "Do it for the children" play acts it IS all about power.  People in this country would be a lot better off if they could just see that.  But again if they could see that several politicians would be in jail right now not running for the presidency.  >:(

enemyofthestate on November 13, 2007, 09:03:24 pm
At the end of the day, it's not about Left or Right, it's about who had power and who doesn't, and who has the most power.

And this point in the story is about those in power finally encountering a party with more power than them.
So will this power corrupt her?  In the end does Susan die and a new religion get founded around her?

Rocketman on November 13, 2007, 09:16:56 pm
I think that it already has.  Instead of using morality and common sense as her guidepost, she seems to be using the fact that she can pretty much do anything to anyone that she wants and can get away with it as her guide.  I'm guessing that at some future point in this story it's going to come back and bite her right in the ass.  :(