UncleRice on April 27, 2018, 11:23:56 am
So is Juan dead or just using some of his high tech gadgets to stay invisible? He could be one of the guys that was outside.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

JanessaVR on April 30, 2018, 12:24:50 am
Well, as of today he's kinda...dead.  Unless he's brought back as a "tin man," that's all she wrote for Juan.
Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.

Bob G on April 30, 2018, 05:56:12 am
1790 - Yup, that looks pretty terminal.  'Cuz of the green splash when the thug's weapon discharge impacted, I thought it might be some kind of incapacitating/binding agent.  Now I 'spect he's a goner; these folk don't seem to be playing with kid gloves.  I would be happy to find out I am mistaken.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Skull the Troll on April 30, 2018, 09:21:24 am
1790 - Yup, that looks pretty terminal.  'Cuz of the green splash when the thug's weapon discharge impacted, I thought it might be some kind of incapacitating/binding agent.  Now I 'spect he's a goner; these folk don't seem to be playing with kid gloves.  I would be happy to find out I am mistaken.

I'm trying to remember if we have ever seen a weapon incapacitate someone before. The zringers are fatal for sure. Not many people in this universe seem to use incapacitating weapons. I suppose Seamus' cloak was one, but that's not a beam weapon.

macnut on April 30, 2018, 11:35:08 am
Yeah I don't recall seeing any beam weapons with a stun setting in the QVerse either. And the way the killers are relaxing in Juan's 3V room, they don't expect him to be getting up anytime soon, if ever.

So he's almost certainly deceased. Which means Diana's next if she's not really careful. Or lucky.

The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

lurkergao on May 01, 2018, 06:41:23 am
Really wasnt expecting juan to go out like that, being good in a scrap was his strength. Really puts diana in a tight spot since thats not her forte. I'm guessing she needs to exercise that expenses clause in her contract and hire a street samurai. And maybe upgrade her car.

lurkergao on May 01, 2018, 07:09:23 am
Also chutzpah assasins almost certainly have hit juans backups like they did hayami no tin man for juan sadly.. also though diana calls them thugs and they are murderers. These guys are a pretty professional bunch even if they screwed up a bit with the recording. Thugs would denote some type of quantum vibe gangbangers. I wonder if there is a professional assasin agency in bubbletown.

Sean Roach on May 01, 2018, 08:35:29 am
Also chutzpah assasins almost certainly have hit juans backups like they did hayami no tin man for juan sadly.. also though diana calls them thugs and they are murderers. These guys are a pretty professional bunch even if they screwed up a bit with the recording. Thugs would denote some type of quantum vibe gangbangers. I wonder if there is a professional assasin agency in bubbletown.

That's assuming he doesn't keep a second backup for things like this. Considering the case he's working, he may have a "if you're reading this" dead mans letter which points the way to another, probably months older, backup.

Heck, that "professional" who visits and "calms him down" may be, in actuality, a very discreet backup technician who does housecalls under the cover of more intimate services.
Edit. The "Happy ending" is you don't end.

UncleRice on May 01, 2018, 09:12:38 am
Juan strikes me as a paranoid type that would have backups of backups. I wouldn't count him out completely yet.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

JanessaVR on May 01, 2018, 02:19:35 pm
That's assuming he doesn't keep a second backup for things like this. Considering the case he's working, he may have a "if you're reading this" dead mans letter which points the way to another, probably months older, backup.

Heck, that "professional" who visits and "calms him down" may be, in actuality, a very discreet backup technician who does housecalls under the cover of more intimate services.
Edit. The "Happy ending" is you don't end.
Dear gods...that's brilliant!  I never even considered that possibility.  But yes, talk about a discrete backup service!

EDIT:  She is carrying a small handbag here.  How big is a typical neuro-backup unit?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:31:42 pm by JanessaVR »
Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.

lurkergao on May 02, 2018, 03:47:22 am
Not to be paranoid here but are they interrogating the real juan or his backup? Dun dun dun!

DrakBibliophile on May 02, 2018, 07:58:47 am
The real Juan.

The backup Juan would be in a Tin Man body not a meat body.

Of course, while Juan is alive in this scene the following implies to me that he didn't survive the interrogation.

"and what we think happened afterward was pieced together from various sources."

That doesn't sound like Juan was telling her what happened.

On the other hand, who is the "we"?  ;)

Not to be paranoid here but are they interrogating the real juan or his backup? Dun dun dun!
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Bob G on May 02, 2018, 09:56:23 am
The real Juan.

The backup Juan would be in a Tin Man body not a meat body.

Of course, while Juan is alive in this scene the following implies to me that he didn't survive the interrogation.

"and what we think happened afterward was pieced together from various sources."

That doesn't sound like Juan was telling her what happened.

On the other hand, who is the "we"?  ;)

Yeah, even though meatsack Juan survived the initial assault the narration, as noted, shows that his situation is a Not Good Thing.  If, as postulated, Juan revives as a tin man, then he'd only have data up to his most recent download and so could be part of the 'we' who were deducing the chain of events post-kidnapping.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Sean Roach on May 02, 2018, 10:42:44 am
There is no reason he HAS to wake up as a tinman. That is probably the most expeditious and likely the more inexpensive solution, but they could probably build him a meat body, and possibly even copy his memories over to it.
Alternately, they could build him a meat body, possibly by growing up a clone from him, but with the brain excised, or possibly arranging for his cell cultures to take over a properly bleached corpse, then plug in a planktronic brain. Either course could take longer than backing up to metal.

Quinlan73 on May 02, 2018, 12:20:00 pm
Y'know, if I were Dana, the first thing I'd do once I met up with Nicole again would be to use a device to give her circuits a good jolt and demand "What the feek have you gotten me into?"