Apollo-Soyuz on April 04, 2018, 12:06:10 pm
>Caption: The crowd was a lot more mixed than I expected. Furries, Classics, Trans, and a cluster of Coneheads.

Furries are like the modern group of the same name, but now they don't have to wear suits any more.

Classics are likely what I call "mainline humans."

Coneheads are obviously a nod to the SNL skit, probably a nod to Big Head Press, and might have augmented mental abilities.

Trans probably isn't the modern definition. Medical tech of the day obviously goes far beyond plastic surgery and hormone therapy. You could probably be completely rebuilt as an XX or XY or XXY or whatever from a few days in a vat, over the last few centuries. Trans would therefore be indistinguishable from Classics.

I'm guessing Trans is probably the green or red skin tinted ones. One would think Coneheads and furries would be a subset of Trans, which is likely short for Transhuman.

Odd that there aren't any artifolk in the crowd.

UncleRice on April 04, 2018, 03:54:34 pm
Coneheads are obviously a nod to the SNL skit, probably a nod to Big Head Press, and might have augmented mental abilities.
I would find it odd that anyone would enlarge their head and not use it to enhance it's capacity. That being said, there seem to be some in this crowd, so it's a possibility some squandered their potential.

Also, I will propose the theory that today's speaker is Hayami in a new chassis and disguising herself and non artifolk.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:01:14 pm by UncleRice »
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Parrhesia on April 13, 2018, 12:51:19 am
So I'm guessing then "trans" in the future are those who willingly take on traits of what we'd call "trans" today - the future equivalent of "genderfuck"?

Scott on April 13, 2018, 07:19:42 am
So I'm guessing then "trans" in the future are those who willingly take on traits of what we'd call "trans" today - the future equivalent of "genderfuck"?

"Trans" is short for "transhuman." People with various genetic/cybernetic enhancements that make them obviously not "classics." It's not a precise classification, as the cortical implants nearly everyone has technically makes everyone "transhuman" from our perspective.

Transexuality is no big deal in teh future. Classics, Trans, Furries, even artifolk can change genders if they wish. It's not controversial.

customdesigned on April 13, 2018, 09:44:58 am

What we have today is an oh so modern and sophisticated form of FGM and castration.  Done voluntarily by adults, as a libertarian I can do no more than express my opinion.  I have more of a moral dilemma when it is done to children - especially since with today's tech it is irreversible ("reversals" leave a lot of damage).  In ancient times, castration was a common job requirement.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:49:31 am by customdesigned »

Sean Roach on April 24, 2018, 09:09:24 am

What we have today is an oh so modern and sophisticated form of FGM and castration.  Done voluntarily by adults, as a libertarian I can do no more than express my opinion.  I have more of a moral dilemma when it is done to children - especially since with today's tech it is irreversible ("reversals" leave a lot of damage).  In ancient times, castration was a common job requirement.

In not-so ancient times as well. Musicians, for instance, were still castrated for that fine high voice into the modern era.

Also, I am all for castrating bureaucrats as the Chinese did. I'm not Catholic, but I was once told the whole point of the priests not marrying was so their first priority would be the church, and not their family, (not that that stopped the Medicis). The idea of people who are given massive amounts of power for pretty much their entire working lives. Yeah. requiring the heads of the TLAs to undergo sterilization makes sense to me.

Skull the Troll on May 17, 2018, 08:42:01 pm
I'm under the impression all of the sentients do this willingly. I doubt it would be allowed to force it on someone given what we know of the governance of he time.

Apollo-Soyuz on May 30, 2018, 06:49:36 pm
page=1741 "beltapes, furries, elves, coneheads, spyders, enigs, phish"

Enigs? That group is new.

Phish may be the lo-G transhumans that like to bicycle, example on page 1734

>Caption: The crowd was a lot more mixed than I expected. Furries, Classics, Trans, and a cluster of Coneheads.

Furries are like the modern group of the same name, but now they don't have to wear suits any more.

Classics are likely what I call "mainline humans."

Trans probably isn't the modern definition. Medical tech of the day obviously goes far beyond plastic surgery and hormone therapy. You could probably be completely rebuilt as an XX or XY or XXY or whatever from a few days in a vat, over the last few centuries. Trans would therefore be indistinguishable from Classics.

I'm guessing Trans is probably the green or red skin tinted ones. One would think Coneheads and furries would be a subset of Trans, which is likely short for Transhuman.

Odd that there aren't any artifolk in the crowd.