customdesigned on March 23, 2018, 09:00:48 am
I think Diana should join (or start) a temperance movement - it fits her.  With no Federal government, there should be less danger of general Prohibition.   WATU?  (Women's Agnostic Temperance Union)

DrakBibliophile on March 23, 2018, 12:28:22 pm
Why should she care "what other people are doing"?  ???

I think Diana should join (or start) a temperance movement - it fits her.  With no Federal government, there should be less danger of general Prohibition.   WATU?  (Women's Agnostic Temperance Union)
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

customdesigned on March 26, 2018, 09:39:06 am

Temperance activists were not motivated by the moderate drinkers - they were motivated by the people in the gutter.  I am almost done with the "Chautauqua Girls" series by Isabella Alden (pen name Pansy), a leader in the Women's Christian Temperance Movement, so I can at least speak for her.  There is an overarching religious motivation, but it comes up repeatedly that the alcohol/cards(gambling)/dancing(sexual assault)/theater(cursing) are not evil in and of themselves, but are tools of Satan to destroy men and women.  And not just spiritually.

In the stories, there are "dry" hotels where parties free of deadly temptation can take place.  Corporations preferred to build factories in "dry" towns - as productivity greatly increased when workers had to travel to get plastered.  Unfortunately, despite allegedly depending on God for everything, the Christian Temperance leaders misguidedly seek a constitutional amendment to make the entire nation "dry" - using government to solve the problem once and for all.  We all know how that goes when they eventually succeed.  (To their credit, temperance leaders also spearheaded repeal once the pernicious effects of general Prohibition were evident.)

In a contrasting approach, the Guinness Beer company was a Christian family that emphasized responsible drinking.

In the Vibe-verse, the technology exists to assist addicts in creating virtual "dry" zones for their protection.  (I'm using alcohol as representative of all potentially addictive substances or behaviors.) 

Imagine that Diane spends some of her free time in charity efforts for the WATU.  During the course of an investigation, she meets Hester in a low rent flop house, where she is about to be evicted for lack of payment.  Hester is addicted to alcohol [it would be fun to imagine a more futuristic chemical, but I'm running out of time here].  Diane puts her up for a few cycles, and talks her into to signing an abstinence pledge.  Unlike signers of 19th century pledges, notorious for "falling off the [temperance] wagon", this pledge has teeth.  It prevents Hester from paying for any of an exhaustive list of products considered dangerous for people with her addiction by the WATU.  The pledge can only be reversed through a protocol that involves remaining sober (monitored by her implant) for a set period of time before signing the reversal.

DrakBibliophile on March 26, 2018, 01:47:47 pm
You're missing my point.

What in the stories has shown us that Diana would be concerned about other people's addiction problems?

Temperance activists were not motivated by the moderate drinkers - they were motivated by the people in the gutter.  I am almost done with the "Chautauqua Girls" series by Isabella Alden (pen name Pansy), a leader in the Women's Christian Temperance Movement, so I can at least speak for her.  There is an overarching religious motivation, but it comes up repeatedly that the alcohol/cards(gambling)/dancing(sexual assault)/theater(cursing) are not evil in and of themselves, but are tools of Satan to destroy men and women.  And not just spiritually.

In the stories, there are "dry" hotels where parties free of deadly temptation can take place.  Corporations preferred to build factories in "dry" towns - as productivity greatly increased when workers had to travel to get plastered.  Unfortunately, despite allegedly depending on God for everything, the Christian Temperance leaders misguidedly seek a constitutional amendment to make the entire nation "dry" - using government to solve the problem once and for all.  We all know how that goes when they eventually succeed.  (To their credit, temperance leaders also spearheaded repeal once the pernicious effects of general Prohibition were evident.)

In a contrasting approach, the Guinness Beer company was a Christian family that emphasized responsible drinking.

In the Vibe-verse, the technology exists to assist addicts in creating virtual "dry" zones for their protection.  (I'm using alcohol as representative of all potentially addictive substances or behaviors.) 

Imagine that Diane spends some of her free time in charity efforts for the WATU.  During the course of an investigation, she meets Hester in a low rent flop house, where she is about to be evicted for lack of payment.  Hester is addicted to alcohol [it would be fun to imagine a more futuristic chemical, but I'm running out of time here].  Diane puts her up for a few cycles, and talks her into to signing an abstinence pledge.  Unlike signers of 19th century pledges, notorious for "falling off the [temperance] wagon", this pledge has teeth.  It prevents Hester from paying for any of an exhaustive list of products considered dangerous for people with her addiction by the WATU.  The pledge can only be reversed through a protocol that involves remaining sober (monitored by her implant) for a set period of time before signing the reversal.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

UncleRice on March 27, 2018, 11:53:14 am
The Women's Temperance Movement was largely an act of self defence. Women were heavily dependent on their husbands due to both societal norms and legal code. If the roof over your head and the food on your plate was determined by the actions of someone who had a habit of drinking himself under the table, you had a natural right to defend yourself, to seek ways to interfere in their life to protect yourself. Once Women got suffrage, that natural right diminished.

In Diana's world, no such dependence is enforced. Thus any temperance movement would be strictly the product of some kind of moral imperialism. I don't see any motivation for Diana to be morally imperialistic.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Parrhesia on March 28, 2018, 12:12:04 am
Hmm - coke?  I am getting a Flight vibe here.

anything