Sean Roach on March 27, 2018, 11:12:41 am
Its that "Lawful Beneficiary" that's rubbing me the wrong way. Its so obviously a huge loophole in the "law" that no one would pay the least attention to it. They aren't really descendants, they are the exact same person still loving who they love, etc. Do you think Nicole would just ignore a robot Bombardi if she encountered them? Now I tend to agree with you that this isn't Joanna, but Seamus explicitly did have a backup made and brain on hand just in case. I would think that would be the case for most anyone who expected they might die suddenly even if it was expensive in that era. Imagine the technology existed now. What would you do to make sure you had this on hand for yourself? I'd think that for most people between saving for retirement or saving up to live forever, there wouldn't be many takers for retirement even if all you do is shuffle paper for a living. Soldiers, police, fire, and so on would probably require it of their employers for that matter.

Except that when Seamus used his own spare brain to fix Murpy, it was enough out of left-field that Nicole wasn't aware it was even a possibility. This leads me to believe that Seamus may well have been, if not the pioneer in this method of serial immortality, than certainly a pioneer in the technique.

Now, by THIS point in time, from what narrow window of society we've seen, it seems natural that everyone, bio and techo alike, use the approach for assured survival, but even there we've only seen those close to the original cabal. Just because Nicole uses the technology, and so did one of her employees, doesn't mean it's practiced generally. That Lorelei inherited her position from someone would imply that brain backups aren't a universally adopted solution, even among the rich.

Now, the statements made at the Bonehead meeting would lead one to understand the possibility had been considered and addressed in law, but does not require that anyone had yet performed the procedure.

As for the Children of Armageddon, what may have put the nail in their coffin would be realizing that no matter how many times they manage to track down and kill Theophilus Farnsworth, they'll probably never kill him permanently.
At best, they can turn the world against his new identities but they're fighting an uphill battle there, thanks to Seamus O'Murchadha's good name as a physicist and inventor, post Calamaties.

It's possible that they have, largely, accepted that the original Farnsworth was killed during or shortly after his rescue, and any future iterations, while having his vast store of knowledge and ability, are technically not the same man. If someone were to recreate Hitler, would he be a figure of unmitigated hate, or ridicule?  Further away in time, how many people despise the very name Hannibal. If an immortal Genghis Khan were found to be living as an immortal under an assumed name, (and assuming that the immortality was, itself, not a newsworthy item,) would all those people who can trace their ancestry back to the places he ransacked cry out for his blood? That was centuries ago. Even the children and the grandchildren of his victims, actual or unrealized, are, or would be all dead. The descendants of the victims and the victors have long since intermarried. Who stands able to call for his head?

Parrhesia on March 28, 2018, 12:11:00 am
Why is Lorelei called Lauren in some transcripts?

Scott on March 30, 2018, 08:24:01 am
I don't know why everyone thinks that Antigone and Diamondi "have to be dead" because they were on the ship. Seamus was reported dead on that ship too. We know from Hugo that Diamondi lived to get to Earth but that she was horribly tortured and he believes that both she and Antigone are dead. I'm sure that's true for their organic bodies, but I don't know why ANYONE in this universe wouldn't have regular backups, much less two people who regularly expected to go into conflict. I don't know that this is where the author is going with this, but its not going to strain my sense of the plot one bit if it does. The fact that she looks like Joanna Diamondi is actually probably a mark against the idea. Why would she maintain that image if shes trying to get close? I think more likely is that there is a particular art style to the comic and that's really it.

Diamondi is quite dead. I haven't decided yet about Antigone.

In the time of QV Volume 3: Seamus, backing-up to an artificial brain was not particularly common. It was incredibly expensive, and there was the "but will I still feel alive?" question that had rattled Alyss when she first awoke in her new form at the end of "Assimulation."

We are now 500 years later, technology has advanced and attitudes have changed, but not entirely.

I'm a bit perturbed that people think Lorelei looks like Diamondi. They are modeled on two different people. I guess I need to up my game here.

customdesigned on March 30, 2018, 03:24:08 pm

So Antigone is in a quantum superposition of dead and not dead, because the Vibe-verse lives and moves and has its being in the mind of its Creator.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:04:20 pm by customdesigned »

Apollo-Soyuz on March 31, 2018, 04:29:22 pm

I'm a bit perturbed that people think Lorelei looks like Diamondi. They are modeled on two different people. I guess I need to up my game here.

Short, female, light skin, long hair. I never thought they were the same person though. 

Apollo-Soyuz on March 31, 2018, 04:59:41 pm
As for the Children of Armageddon, what may have put the nail in their coffin would be realizing that no matter how many times they manage to track down and kill Theophilus Farnsworth, they'll probably never kill him permanently.
At best, they can turn the world against his new identities but they're fighting an uphill battle there, thanks to Seamus O'Murchadha's good name as a physicist and inventor, post Calamaties.

It's possible that they have, largely, accepted that the original Farnsworth was killed during or shortly after his rescue, and any future iterations, while having his vast store of knowledge and ability, are technically not the same man

My own pet theory:

• The Murphy drive just opened up the Universe, which must have shook the entire solar system, kickstarting their imagination.
  • The CoA figured out that they could never catch him now, and they could never fully kill him as a backed up tin-man
  • Because of the groundwork on the Murphy drive, Seamus/Farnsworth got a percent of the new company and was made fantastically wealthy again.
  • Accepting that Farnsworth was legally dead allowed them to file a claim against his estate. Or rather vice versa, settling against his estate forced them to agree that he was dead.
  • Having accepted that Farnsworth was dead and taken the thinly veiled bribe, any attempt to kill him now would 1) Fail, 2) bring about legal claims to the murderer and any cult they belonged to.
  • Since most of the CoA were likely people who's grandparents were killed, (i.e at least a few generations removed) it was easier for the majority to vote to just accept the money and drop the matter. 

Skull the Troll on April 02, 2018, 09:24:35 am
I don't know why everyone thinks that Antigone and Diamondi "have to be dead" because they were on the ship. Seamus was reported dead on that ship too. We know from Hugo that Diamondi lived to get to Earth but that she was horribly tortured and he believes that both she and Antigone are dead. I'm sure that's true for their organic bodies, but I don't know why ANYONE in this universe wouldn't have regular backups, much less two people who regularly expected to go into conflict. I don't know that this is where the author is going with this, but its not going to strain my sense of the plot one bit if it does. The fact that she looks like Joanna Diamondi is actually probably a mark against the idea. Why would she maintain that image if shes trying to get close? I think more likely is that there is a particular art style to the comic and that's really it.

In the time of QV Volume 3: Seamus, backing-up to an artificial brain was not particularly common. It was incredibly expensive, and there was the "but will I still feel alive?" question that had rattled Alyss when she first awoke in her new form at the end of "Assimulation."

We are now 500 years later, technology has advanced and attitudes have changed, but not entirely.

No your art is wonderful! Human beings are so good at detecting subtle differences in features that a comic style simply cannot replicate. I think for me, I know I'm reading a noir-style story and I'm looking for the betrayal, the plot-twist. Good to have a  answer on Diamondi, she was on my better off dead list. I guess I'm just an early adopter. I'm having a hard time imagining a world where eternal life was possible but people just went "Meh..." The cost thing would certainly reduce the option to many I'm sure though. Was Seamus really all that wealthy? the first part of the story has him talking about how tight money is, but that could have been an act in service to his famous paranoia?

Apollo-Soyuz on April 04, 2018, 11:46:56 am
Was Seamus really all that wealthy? the first part of the story has him talking about how tight money is, but that could have been an act in service to his famous paranoia?

Seamus poured every penny he had into Project X, and still needed to sell shares to his friends, and needed to also get funding from Gensaxwal for the thermonuclear devices. (In exchange, Gensaxwal got the data from the explosions as seen from Venus, without any explanation of what the data was for.)

Seamus didn't have a whole lot of disposable income until Mars, where he sold the first version of the mass detector. With it, he was able to buy the shares back from Po's nephews and give them to their rightful owner, Murphy. He was also able to kickstart the investigation into Po's estate inheritance fraud.

The story didn't go into a large amount of detail over profits from the Murphy Drive, but it seems safe to say that all the members who owned Project X shares got a cut, especially since many of them were involved in final development and marketing.

Also, since Alyss was able to make a claim against Gensaxwal (page=905) for  being kidnapped by one of there executives, it seems reasonable that the CoA could make a claim against the estate of Farnsworth/Seamus/Hugh/Hugo. Not canon, but it wraps up the CoA as an enemy and lets everyone move forward to start to settle the universe.     

Scott on April 11, 2018, 08:14:36 am
Why is Lorelei called Lauren in some transcripts?

Because her name was Lauren when I first dreamed up the character but changed it to Lorelei sometime before drawing the page. I thought I'd changed all references in the transcripts but missed some.