Apollo-Soyuz on January 31, 2018, 08:54:45 am
Well Murphy trashed his body pretty well, but like most of the characters in the Vibeverse, he probably had multiple personality backups, and after having Murphy defeat him TWICE, i'd think his grudge would be pretty intense.

First time, he was actually in pretty good shape but got dumped out of a moving ship without the means of propulsion. But the whole idea was that he would  kidnap Semus and jump out of the moving ship, so he had a second craft arranged to pick them both up.

Second time he was pounded to a pulp by Murphy, and had his brain destroyed. Since we haven't heard from him in a thousand yahren I think it's safe to say he didn't have a backup or Scott hasn't thought of a believable scenario to bring him back.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 31, 2018, 09:09:18 am
Speaking of bigger problems, what's with Diana's sudden obsession with synthetic boobs?

Though even not real, they are spectacular.

She likes girls. I didn't note where this was discussed, but it was on Venus23 arc.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 31, 2018, 09:23:26 am
I would think the solution to getting out of a judgment against you, while not escaping to the frontier would be to

Go off-world and get a roboticist to fab a new body and transfer your programming over, paying cash of course.
Assume a new name. There's no central registry anywhere so you can claim you're from some back-world planet on the fringe
Travel back to Oz with "luggage"
Dump your old, wiped body somewhere and erase the backups

You lose your name, reputation, credit history, and any possessions, but also any crippling judgments against you.   

Not too difficult for an individual to pull off, but probably even easier with the backing of the League of Safety/Security or the Intergalactic Council

I wonder if Hyami had her body stolen? Same chassis, different brain.

Sean Roach on January 31, 2018, 12:58:27 pm
I would think the solution to getting out of a judgment against you, while not escaping to the frontier would be to

Go off-world and get a roboticist to fab a new body and transfer your programming over, paying cash of course.
Assume a new name. There's no central registry anywhere so you can claim you're from some back-world planet on the fringe
Travel back to Oz with "luggage"
Dump your old, wiped body somewhere and erase the backups

You lose your name, reputation, credit history, and any possessions, but also any crippling judgments against you.   

Not too difficult for an individual to pull off, but probably even easier with the backing of the League of Safety/Security or the Intergalactic Council

I wonder if Hyami had her body stolen? Same chassis, different brain.

You also have to launder your assets. You can't just move into your old house under a new name, drive your old car, wear your old clothes, or even keep your old stock portfolio.
For that matter, just keeping to the same, old, habits could cause you to reassume the negative parts of your old reputation. You can't apply to be a member of any of your old clubs, frequent your old haunts, etc, because someone there might recognize the old you in you.

You're better off breaking contact, entirely, and settling somewhere similarly developed, and familiar enough customs, but with as few people in common as possible. Die in Vancouver, sell your antiques shop, show up in Paris and settle into a houseboat.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 31, 2018, 06:29:26 pm
You also have to launder your assets. You can't just move into your old house under a new name, drive your old car, wear your old clothes, or even keep your old stock portfolio.
For that matter, just keeping to the same, old, habits could cause you to reassume the negative parts of your old reputation. You can't apply to be a member of any of your old clubs, frequent your old haunts, etc, because someone there might recognize the old you in you.

You're better off breaking contact, entirely, and settling somewhere similarly developed, and familiar enough customs, but with as few people in common as possible. Die in Vancouver, sell your antiques shop, show up in Paris and settle into a houseboat.

Laundering liquid assets is much easier in a free economy. You just get the equivalent of a swiss bank account and put your "grubstake" liquid assets in there. Unless Oz has "know your customer" laws, you just give your passcode to the "ATM" when you get back and get the assets out.   

Otherwise, I already brought up possessions. Selling your speeder before you leave Tatooine^H^H^H get murdered looks suspicious.

We've already had foreshadowing about doll houses, (1749) so let's see if that develops into a story element. 

At least arti-folk don't have to eat, so no Louis Wu cravings for cheese. But Hyami has to come back, otherwise she's out of the story and no longer worth bringing up or drawing panels for. She would be like a massive hypernova-sized red herring. 

UncleRice on January 31, 2018, 08:09:49 pm
There could be an entire industry around getting out of jail. You get locked up an operative comes in, makes a back up of you, kills your current you, and leaves. An escrow account pays the operative just as soon as you are reactivated. you may loose any documented assets, but if you know how to make money, this is a temporary issue, especially with a free economy and indefinite life spans.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

B-Sabre on February 01, 2018, 07:08:56 am
Scarlett Encajita?

Encajar - to be reasonable

“Little Reasonable (or Reasoning?)Scarlett”?

DSL on February 01, 2018, 09:07:24 am
Wonder if Scarlett is an AI manifesting as (instead of/in addition to a physical body) a cartoon character. Seems as something easy to do for an AI, from as basic as being a 'voice actor' to being an AI resident in some mainframe, or both. Hell, she could be piloting her body around somewhere while also voicing the Scarlett cartoon ...

UncleRice on February 02, 2018, 08:44:16 am
I maintain that synthetic actors are the wave of the future. They come with less baggage.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Sean Roach on February 02, 2018, 06:22:25 pm
I maintain that synthetic actors are the wave of the future. They come with less baggage.
I'm honestly surprised that some high-price actor hasn't lost out to his studio, with them continuing to use his likeness to finish a series long after he's been replaced by a new, nameless, stand-in.
Granted, the CGI time PROBABLY makes it cheaper to just pay the first guy what he asks, but for how much longer?

B-Sabre on February 06, 2018, 07:00:13 am
I'm honestly surprised that some high-price actor hasn't lost out to his studio, with them continuing to use his likeness to finish a series long after he's been replaced by a new, nameless, stand-in.
Granted, the CGI time PROBABLY makes it cheaper to just pay the first guy what he asks, but for how much longer?

So far they've done it to Peter Cushing (who was safely dead) and Carrie Fisher (who was too old to play her younger "self"). There are probably others who I can't name who have also had this done to them.  I understand that they have ruled out a CGI Leia for the next Star Wars film.

The "Grand Moff Tarkin" we see in Rogue One was still in the Uncanny Valley to my eyes. The wiki article on the character discusses some of the issues they still have with CGI actors....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Moff_Tarkin

UncleRice on February 06, 2018, 07:46:53 am
Bringing back a dead actor through CGI would pretty much be the opposite of less baggage. A studio would need to create a collection of CGI actors from scratch and use them.

Sean Roach on February 06, 2018, 08:45:20 am
Bringing back a dead actor through CGI would pretty much be the opposite of less baggage. A studio would need to create a collection of CGI actors from scratch and use them.
Yeah, but that only happens in cartoons.

As an aside. Here's a list of the voice actors for Mickey Mouse that I copied of Wikipedia. Walt Disney, Jimmy Macdonald, Carl W. Stalling?, Clarance Nash, Joe Twerp, John Hiestand, Stan Freberg, Alan Young, Wayne Allyine, Les Perkins, Peter Renaday, Quinton Flynn, Bret Iwan.
I started to go with Bugs Bunny, but Mel Blanc was the voice for such a stretch, that it wasn't as good of a sell.

And here is the Wikipedia page on the next generation of voice actors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid

UncleRice on February 08, 2018, 09:39:36 am
It would absolutely be like Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Optimus Prime, Yoda, and Jarjar Binks. Only thanks to much more advanced technology, they would look human. And Vocaloid technology is developing at about the same level, so sooner or later someone is going to make the jump and not look back.

anything