sehlat on December 10, 2017, 02:28:38 pm
"They didn't ask first."

We trusted them with our wallets and they have told us that OUR wallets are THEIR property. It follows from that that Patreon cannot be trusted. Patreon is toast as far as I'm concerned. There is NO way they can apologize their way out of the attitude they have demonstrated.

To that end, is there any alternative available that will work for you so I can continue to support your wonderful work without having Patreon rifling through my wallet?

Scott on December 10, 2017, 09:41:38 pm
You can support me directly through PayPal, if you prefer. There's even an option for automated monthly payments. But there's no easy mechanism for tracking donations and offering tiered rewards, or communicating to donors as a group outside of Patreon.

I'm looking at alternatives. A few have started out but they're young yet and I want to see how stable they prove to be before jumping in. And I'm not going anywhere near an outfit calling itself "Hatereon."

UncleRice on December 11, 2017, 08:22:44 am
Bitcoin or something similar may be viable once they stop looking like a massive bubble read to pop.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Sean Roach on December 11, 2017, 08:51:25 am
I'm wondering if there's a Wordpress add-on that'd let you tie a tip jar to accounts and reward tiers, but a brief search last night didn't find anything conclusive.

Edit.
This looks good.
https://givewp.com/
At least it talks a good game. Incentivized giving with membership tiers, and the option to opt out of building an account, but still donate, all within WordPress.
Of course, I'm making an assumption that you're USING WP, which...appears to be in error.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:32:16 pm by Sean Roach »

Scott on December 13, 2017, 04:44:30 pm
I'm wondering if there's a Wordpress add-on that'd let you tie a tip jar to accounts and reward tiers, but a brief search last night didn't find anything conclusive.

Edit.
This looks good.
At least it talks a good game. Incentivized giving with membership tiers, and the option to opt out of building an account, but still donate, all within WordPress.
Of course, I'm making an assumption that you're USING WP, which...appears to be in error.

Nope, not WordPress. This site was built by my brother using kite string and chewing gum.

--Scott

DrakBibliophile on December 13, 2017, 10:03:37 pm
The news is that Patreon backed off of this stupid idea.

Edit.
This looks good.

Nope, not WordPress. This site was built by my brother using kite string and chewing gum.

--Scott
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Scott on December 15, 2017, 10:29:08 am
The news is that Patreon backed off of this stupid idea.

Indeed they did. Creators and patrons alike launched a firestorm of protest and we got an abject apology from the Patreon CEO.

So, I'm fine with Patreon. I do have a few supporters who would prefer not to deal with Patreon for other reasons so I'm looking into adding a secondary patronage system. I'll announce when it's in place.

JanessaVR on December 21, 2017, 01:15:04 am
I suggest Maker Support.  I'm moving my monthly support for any creators I can over to there whenever possible.
Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.

macnut on December 21, 2017, 03:38:54 pm
If you have the programming chops (or know/can hire someone with said chops), perhaps you should roll you own patron section. Some other comic artists have done that, like GPF Premium.

The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

customdesigned on December 21, 2017, 04:42:44 pm
I have a Christmas present on hold because 100 sat/B is not going anywhere with the current Bitcoin transaction backlog.  I was looking for a donation to push it through with CPFP, but paying $80 in transaction fees just doesn't seem reasonable.  I'm looking at getting into a crypto currency that supports a realistic transaction volume for consumer purchases - but a lot of research is needed.

Scott on December 22, 2017, 08:35:58 am
I have a Christmas present on hold because 100 sat/B is not going anywhere with the current Bitcoin transaction backlog.  I was looking for a donation to push it through with CPFP, but paying $80 in transaction fees just doesn't seem reasonable.  I'm looking at getting into a crypto currency that supports a realistic transaction volume for consumer purchases - but a lot of research is needed.

I can happily accept BitcoinCash, if that works for you.
12iGNoPwibbG6k6w3eUsKFnm7raU2PHdwg

Of course, it's now looking like BitcoinCrash, so you might want to wait for the dust to settle.

UncleRice on December 22, 2017, 11:49:59 am
Yeah, it's looking like Bitcoin is suffering a market correction. Bandwagons are expensive, sometimes even if you don't get on them. With any luck, it'll be a nice stable currency once this correction is over.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

anything