Quinlan73 on December 05, 2017, 03:44:46 pm
I'm getting a strong film noir feeling from the first strip. Dian's working for a private investigator only increases this feeling.

Scott on December 06, 2017, 03:42:58 pm
Oh, good. That's the effect I'm going for. Hard-boiled detective story in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Coyoty on December 07, 2017, 04:24:24 am
A detective in space without a suit will be hard and boiled.

wdg3rd on December 08, 2017, 09:21:25 pm
We need some good noir around here.  Most of QV has been too cheerful.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

UncleRice on December 09, 2017, 08:45:26 am
This is more or less what I would expect of someone like her achieving in her time in this new city. She's doing what she knows best while learning the ropes of her adopted home. At some point in the future I would expect her to research options for collecting more pay, or some equivalent once she starts wrapping her head around her new society.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Sean Roach on December 09, 2017, 06:52:13 pm
I could have sworn that that last panel had her contemplating searching the classifieds for a better, more reliably paying job on her day off, rather than reading up on case law.

Butte Bill on December 09, 2017, 11:02:25 pm
Sean, your alternate reality is showing. In the last panel Dian was experiencing Eithne-ui and complaining about being poor, while driving her suitcase/flying car. Truly one of my favorite panels of the year.

UncleRice on December 11, 2017, 08:24:17 am
Sean, your alternate reality is showing. In the last panel Dian was experiencing Eithne-ui and complaining about being poor, while driving her suitcase/flying car. Truly one of my favorite panels of the year.
Owning a flying car that fits in a suitcase is really awesome until you realize it's the local equivalent of a Pinto.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

MirrorField on Today at 03:41:02 am
I could have sworn that that last panel had her contemplating searching the classifieds for a better, more reliably paying job on her day off, rather than reading up on case law.

One should not underestimate the effect of feeling a debt owed, no matter if it's unofficial. Juan literally saved her life, which is one reason she will (probably) have greater tolerance to bad pay and lesser prospects than usual.

ObNote: Homo Economicus is as much a chimera as Homo Sovieticus. Which is why I have reservations about the sustainability of a "pure" big-L Libertarianism.

MirrorField on Today at 03:52:44 am
Interesting complaints about groceries. One would expect a market niche for cheap and nutritionally perfect "paste" comparable to today's "Soylent" in Bubbleopolis, the staple of students and other "less wealthy" segments of populace and/or those who don't have time or interest to do proper cooking. Undrugged, of course, but nevertheless fast to prepare, can be ordered in largish consignment, shelf-life measured in decades, very healthy and so on. Or a handy machine for preparing such synth-foods from raw-materials cartridge, possibly with additional packets of flavors, possibly specifically tailored to individual biochemistry in question.

Diet of such does not, of course, preclude eating "real" food when occasion calls for.

UncleRice on Today at 08:58:47 am
Given what she's learned about the paste she grew up eating, she is probably wary of anything like it.

customdesigned on Today at 10:29:07 am
"Nutritionally perfect" and "shelf life of decades" are incompatible - and the combination evokes '50s scientism.   Fully nutritional food must be live, and while the culturing and harvesting could no doubt be fully automated, and the required ecosystem optimized with all the bioengineering in the vibeverse - no long dead paste is going to be "nutritionally perfect".  Especially since an important part of nutrition is live bacteria - which outnumber number human cells in a healthy organism.

Many nutrients are extremely unstable.  E.g. lactose decays into glucose and de-galactose after only a few days in the grocery fridge - doubling your risk of heart disease when consumed.  Homogenization to keep the butterfat suspended also accelerates the fat oxidation.  And even fairly stable saturated fats do not last decades when separated from the seed matrix.  Whole (live) nuts and seeds represent highly optimized shelf-life, but are far from "nutritionally perfect" on their own.

Scott on Today at 10:38:20 am
Nearly all the food consumed in Bubbleopolis looks a lot like the food we consume now. In part, for the reasons "customdesigned" outlines, in part for taste, in part for cultural preferences. The difference is most of the locally-produced food is either vegetables grown hydroponically, or meats grown in vats rather than as animals.

However a lot of food is also imported, which is not a big deal with the Discontinuous Displacement Engine. You can render a cow on some planet-side abattoir a thousand or a million light-years away and send the cuts to Bubbleopolis in less than a minute.

anything