Quinlan73 on December 18, 2017, 09:13:59 am
Not unsurprisingly Diana still holds prejudices against artificial lifeforms. While I'm not concerned, (it hasn't been long since AIs ruled her entire life) I'm hoping this adventure gives her her own "Murphy" that will become a good friend to her despite her best efforts to avoid it.

Ming the Merciless on December 19, 2017, 12:25:38 am
My old Subaru failed out...My suspention kept breaking away due to total rust...even I could not even tied off my seat to drive...It broke my heart to drive it to the junk yard.
Still, if my dog or my wife die off too, it is not the same...A machine still stay a machine, call it a gynoid, a bot or a damn TIN MAN!

lurkergao on December 19, 2017, 02:02:17 am
Awesome, new adventure with Diane, and she's getting up to exploring this strange future society. Also a plus she's facing it from a lower class lifestyle perspective instead of being an ultra rich member of Seamus' descendants. As for her not rising higher in society... though she's a sharp cookie she can't build society changing inventions. Her talents seem to be more tilted toward detective work anyway.

UncleRice on December 19, 2017, 02:38:35 pm
Not unsurprisingly Diana still holds prejudices against artificial lifeforms. While I'm not concerned, (it hasn't been long since AIs ruled her entire life) I'm hoping this adventure gives her her own "Murphy" that will become a good friend to her despite her best efforts to avoid it.
I see it as a Pavlovian thing. You can't expect most humans to switch gears instantly on something so fundamental to their life experience.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

UncleRice on December 20, 2017, 09:37:08 am
I'm not convinced Hayami is actually dead. A co-conspirator could have brought a back up device for her and then destroyed her current brain and the back up they knew about. It would have been quieter if Hayami was willing, which would have made her "assassination" easier to get away with.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

emb021 on December 20, 2017, 04:39:47 pm
Thought it a little funny that Diana thinks Alyss needs to learn some humility.  Diana doesn't know the life Alyss has lived.  She probably assumes she was born rich, etc.

DrakBibliophile on December 20, 2017, 05:21:19 pm
To be "fair", Alyss has been rich for a very long time.

IE She's had plenty of time to get a swelled head.  ;)

Thought it a little funny that Diana thinks Alyss needs to learn some humility.  Diana doesn't know the life Alyss has lived.  She probably assumes she was born rich, etc.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Scott on December 22, 2017, 08:28:38 am
Primias?  ...the workweek starts on Sunday?

In Oz, the "week" lasts five days: Primias (or Primiday), Secundia (Secunday), Tritias (Tritiday), Quadias (Quadday), and Quintias (or Quinday).  Quintias is the day most people take off work, but many have staggered schedules. But "Primias" is equivalent to "Monday" for us. BTW a "day" in Oz is 10,000 seconds (divided into 20 "hours") compared with 86,400 for a Terran day. The only time unit exactly the same for Oz as it is for us is the "second," which is an ISO measure.

Five of these weeks in a "cycle" (something close to a month), twelve cycles in a "year" (which is 18 Terran days shorter than a Terran year).

I have all this worked out on a spreadsheet I might publish for my Patreon supporters.

UncleRice on December 22, 2017, 11:54:38 am
I'm guessing Alyss is offering twenty something. Any guesses and to how many zeros follow? :)

lurkergao on December 22, 2017, 09:39:50 pm
Seems likely to be more than their whole operation makes in a year or maybe even five years if alyss is feeling particularly like showing off. And they are stammering at the possibility of doubling the figure. Diane is right alyss can be pretty high handed. Though in this case i think it is justified since this job will endanger their lives

UncleRice on December 23, 2017, 08:02:17 am
Alyss is a bit high handed, but the people she locks horns with are even more high handed, so I really don't see a problem.

lurkergao on January 01, 2018, 02:28:54 pm
Thats a bit of the corrupting influence of power right there. Also i just realized that hugo/seamus couldnt have killed hayame because he was too busy killing star trek aliens while alyss was doing this i was sure he had done the deed previously.

Scott on January 02, 2018, 04:37:07 pm
Thats a bit of the corrupting influence of power right there. Also i just realized that hugo/seamus couldnt have killed hayame because he was too busy killing star trek aliens while alyss was doing this i was sure he had done the deed previously.

No, Seamus/Hugo had nothing to do with Hayami's murder. Most likely you won't even see him in this story.
--Scott

Parrhesia on January 05, 2018, 06:17:23 am
In Oz, the "week" lasts five days: Primias (or Primiday), Secundia (Secunday), Tritias (Tritiday), Quadias (Quadday), and Quintias (or Quinday).  Quintias is the day most people take off work, but many have staggered schedules. But "Primias" is equivalent to "Monday" for us. BTW a "day" in Oz is 10,000 seconds (divided into 20 "hours") compared with 86,400 for a Terran day. The only time unit exactly the same for Oz as it is for us is the "second," which is an ISO measure.

Ah.  I was thrown by all the Portuguese, since modern Portuguese (at least in my corner of the US) typically uses cardinal numbers for the days, and "primeira feira" is Sunday.  (And, er, are you sure you don't mean 100,000?)

Speaking of which - this scene is the entire reason you made Oz speak portuglÍs, isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:23:28 am by Parrhesia »

Coyoty on January 07, 2018, 04:05:04 am
I think the lingua franca of Oz is Esperanto, not Portuguese.