Ming the Merciless on September 27, 2017, 09:24:15 am

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

DrakBibliophile on September 27, 2017, 01:10:51 pm
Likely by the time the Murphy Drive worked again, Theo didn't have access to his starship and was too into "revenge mode" to think of building a new one.

Yeah, there should be 5 androids. One destroyed, one in charge of the Cush, two with Eithne, two unaccounted for.

It's clear that Hugo1 became Theophilus. We are told that "The first arrived a bit more than 115 megaseconds before the others. It had a companion but that one was destroyed."
That translates to 3.64 years.  Hugo2 and Murphy2 woke up "we've lost three years."  WTF happened to Hugo2 and Murphy2 is,
at least for now, a mystery.  And judging by Eithne's face she's starting to catch on to just how big a fire hose she's gonna need to clean the fan.

Well it's obvious the gamer-gods are less than omnipotent, otherwise they wouldn't need help dealing with Hugo and Murphy.

What if Hugo & Murphy Mk.2 jumped into the galaxy in an out of the way place while the vibrometric constant was "wrong"? Could they be stuck between two spiral arms, 200+ light years from any resources? And not met anyone of the 4 main alien races?

I'm still stuck on the vibrometric constant. When and why does it change? Did Theo just give up trying to use the murphy drive? Because it seems like it got "fixed" at some point, perhaps only locally?
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Torin3 on September 27, 2017, 08:27:29 pm

Well it's obvious the gamer-gods are less than omnipotent, otherwise they wouldn't need help dealing with Hugo and Murphy.

What if Hugo & Murphy Mk.2 jumped into the galaxy in an out of the way place while the vibrometric constant was "wrong"? Could they be stuck between two spiral arms, 200+ light years from any resources? And not met anyone of the 4 main alien races?

I'm still stuck on the vibrometric constant. When and why does it change? Did Theo just give up trying to use the murphy drive? Because it seems like it got "fixed" at some point, perhaps only locally?

I think the VC changed when they set up the physics to allow the 'warp' drive.  What happens when a Murphy drive arrives in the area of effect, the drive carries either an aura of the spacetime it came from, or the elements of the drive have a 'charge' in them that is gradually discharged by exposure to the local spacetime.

So, they show up and are on a time limit until their drives stop working.  Once it does stop working, it needs to be tuned to the local constant to work again.  Once they are out of the local galaxy, their locally tuned drive will stop working after an equivalent amount of time. 

Scott on September 28, 2017, 10:15:14 am

I think the VC changed when they set up the physics to allow the 'warp' drive.  What happens when a Murphy drive arrives in the area of effect, the drive carries either an aura of the spacetime it came from, or the elements of the drive have a 'charge' in them that is gradually discharged by exposure to the local spacetime.

So, they show up and are on a time limit until their drives stop working.  Once it does stop working, it needs to be tuned to the local constant to work again.  Once they are out of the local galaxy, their locally tuned drive will stop working after an equivalent amount of time.

Yep, that's it almost exactly. Are you reading my mind or something?

Ming the Merciless on September 28, 2017, 02:32:10 pm
The entities in question, both historically (Greek) and esoterically (Gnostic) were potentates known as Archons.
The word “Archon” is from the ancient Greek: ἄρχων arkhon; (pl. ἄρχοντες) that means “petty ruler” “prince” or “lord,”
often used as the title of a specific public office. The word “Archon” is etymologically derived from the same root as the word monarch.

The Archons first rose to prominence during the Greek Archaic period, when the kings were being superseded by aristocrats. Originally there were nine Archons, overseeing civic, military, and religious affairs of State. Over time, this political system eroded as wealthy patrons assumed these roles, charged with organizing festivals by bringing together poets, playwrights and actors. Speaking of actors… this scenario… legislative and civic responsibility in the hands of increased corruption and incompetence sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

During the biblical era, the Greek’s successor in global political might was the Roman Empire. Drawing the parallel between our time and the fall of the Roman Empire is a conceptually easy target… however it is the spiritual, synchronistic impact of those times, overlaid with ours that is most intriguing.

Gnosticism (from Ancient Greek: γνωστικός gnostikos, "learned", from γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) is a contemporary term used to describe numerous Biblical era mystery schools and/or religious orders’ cosmological understandings. Most of what we know today about Gnosticism was uncovered in the waning years of World War II, in a collection of papyrus codices, known as the Nag Hammadi library. This collection of Gnostic texts was discovered near the Upper Egyptian town of Nag Hammadi, by a local farmer named Muhammed al-Samman, in 1945.

Ming the Merciless on September 28, 2017, 03:19:00 pm

Torin3 on September 29, 2017, 08:25:52 am

Yep, that's it almost exactly. Are you reading my mind or something?

Nope.  Please take it as a tribute to your storytelling skills and logical planning.

I got most of it when Hugo said that the VC had changed.   Given what you'd explained when they were making the drive in the first place, that made it the most likely answer given the facts known at the time.  When you had the Archons explain that they'd tweaked the local physics to make the warp drives work that pretty much cemented the idea for me.  That made the plot here work smoothly with the least amount of 'active tweaking' or unnecessary sapients mashing the characters into their assigned paths.

Plus I've got a story bouncing around in my head where I've had to work out how the physics of hyperspace would interact with the characters.

Basically, multiple levels of hyperspace, each level above the first 'smaller' and 'faster' to travel in.  However going up into a higher/faster level takes less and less energy, and going down takes more and more.  When the story starts, humanity figures out how to enter hyperspace, but is unable to return because the energy necessary to do so is so much higher than they can carry on their ships.  The story is what happens between that time and when someone figures how to get high enough energy density in a useable form to return to Earth.

Now I just need to improve my prose enough that people will enjoy reading it.  Which means practice, practice, practice.

Skull the Troll on September 29, 2017, 09:01:11 am
WTF is up with the random hippy image dump?

Ming the Merciless on September 29, 2017, 03:36:52 pm
The four Archons here actually make more sense than all these "Arti-Folks" whose identical numbers are getting confusing...

Also those made up domestic man-cats K'Tagon(K'Cats...K'Tom?) with  spiky penis grown by excess testosterone...does not
seem Ralf have not stimulated ovulation with Eithne...unless she killed her K'Tom as all domestic Toms here 
get executed or butchered by all female cats...

Sean Roach on September 29, 2017, 03:53:43 pm
WTF is up with the random hippy image dump?

I do fear you've been out-trolled.

Ming the Merciless on September 29, 2017, 04:23:38 pm
Look like bolshos(Antifas...etc...) will all got to return to North Korea...or Venezuela, Cuba, Bolivia...etc...