DrakBibliophile on September 25, 2017, 07:45:33 am
Where are the other two?
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

MarieNomad on September 25, 2017, 10:17:09 am
I know, there are at least two more.  And can't the 'gamer' gods do anything about them?

UncleRice on September 25, 2017, 10:25:07 am
Yeah, there should be 5 androids. One destroyed, one in charge of the Cush, two with Eithne, two unaccounted for. I'm not even sure which version of Hugo ended up being Theo.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 25, 2017, 10:53:54 am
So by context I'm going to assume "one" = one ship with two androids.  Though it could mean that one of the first batch of androids was lost, the second was killed off "in bounds" of the game, the third was killed, the fourth became Theo and there are our current 2 androids in play making three total. Or something like that.

I assume the gamer-gods were trying to deal with the androids by killing them off. Mucking with the Vibrometric constant, allowing Buttheads through the shields, etc. For the most part it seems the Androids have been extraordinarily resilient and resourceful. Maybe lucky in the context of being found by lizard people rather than Glutes after the jump drive stopped working.

I considered Theo becoming the Cush King to be a deception, that while he is now the leader, there is a part of his personality that is being fooled by the collective into making him think he's the one in charge. There might be another part of his personality that thinks he gets original ideas, and the planted ideas get carried out. I'm not so sure of that theory anymore. In any event Theo admits his Cush can't invent anything  (page=1671) so since Theo is Cush he somehow lost his creative and inventive edge.

So what happens now? Ethine gets put back into her Cush modified body, and goes and has a chat with our android team mk3, then theses two agree to leave the bounds of the game, and Ethine stays behind with her new friends? Theo is assumed to be "dealt with" and Hugh and Murphy get home with memories intact so they don't launch another knee-jerk "rescue mission"?

Apollo-Soyuz on September 25, 2017, 11:09:01 am
If it's the gamer-gods mucking with the vibrometric constant,  Then they "set it back" to normal after each team of androids were "dealt with". That means mk1. and mk2. was "dealt with" -- giving credit to the theory that Theo had been largely "dealt with".

Otherwise the moment the vibrometric constant was set back to normal, Theo and the Cush would be able to escape the game bounds

Theo might have invented transwarp drive before the gamer-gods killed his creativity, but that one change gave a huge advantage to the Cush and that's ruining gameplay.

That makes the Hyper-nova (page=1444) a red herring and explains why the Murphy drive worked for a while.

Quinlan73 on September 25, 2017, 09:06:39 pm
 Um... Theo, Current Hugo, Current Murphy. By my count that makes three. The unaccounted for versions may have been destroyed in a myriad ways.

DrakBibliophile on September 25, 2017, 11:39:30 pm
The missing two could have been destroyed but until we know for sure they could "come into play".  ;)

Um... Theo, Current Hugo, Current Murphy. By my count that makes three. The unaccounted for versions may have been destroyed in a myriad ways.

sehlat on September 26, 2017, 12:45:54 am
Yeah, there should be 5 androids. One destroyed, one in charge of the Cush, two with Eithne, two unaccounted for. I'm not even sure which version of Hugo ended up being Theo.

It's clear that Hugo1 became Theophilus. We are told that "The first arrived a bit more than 115 megaseconds before the others. It had a companion but that one was destroyed."
That translates to 3.64 years.  Hugo2 and Murphy2 woke up "we've lost three years."  WTF happened to Hugo2 and Murphy2 is,
at least for now, a mystery.  And judging by Eithne's face she's starting to catch on to just how big a fire hose she's gonna need to clean the fan.

DrakBibliophile on September 26, 2017, 12:01:39 pm
I now think Scott is going to leave the fate of the missing Hugo & Murphy up-in-the-air.

The Gamer Gods need Eithne right now but what happens when she deals with Theo and sends her Hugo & Murphy home?

Eithne could be a threat to their "fun and games" so they'd want to get rid of her (I suspect that the injection while allowing them to make contact could also be used to kill Eithne).

However, if there's still another set of Hugo & Murphy in this galaxy, they'll need Eithne to handle them. :evil:

It's clear that Hugo1 became Theophilus. We are told that "The first arrived a bit more than 115 megaseconds before the others. It had a companion but that one was destroyed."
That translates to 3.64 years.  Hugo2 and Murphy2 woke up "we've lost three years."  WTF happened to Hugo2 and Murphy2 is,
at least for now, a mystery.  And judging by Eithne's face she's starting to catch on to just how big a fire hose she's gonna need to clean the fan.

DrakBibliophile on September 26, 2017, 12:22:59 pm
By the way, I now believe that Theo is Hugo 1 for one reason.

Hugo 2 & Murphy 2 would know that "they" had run into trouble in this galaxy so would have taken more precautions.

While some thought Hugo 3 & Murphy 3 were too trusting, they had taken some precautions.

Theo and his Murphy were taken completely by surprise and that IMO would only happen if they were the first set of Hugo-Murphy.

Skull the Troll on September 26, 2017, 12:41:06 pm

Hugo 2 & Murphy 2 would know that "they" had run into trouble in this galaxy so would have taken more precautions.

While some thought Hugo 3 & Murphy 3 were too trusting, they had taken some precautions.

Theo and his Murphy were taken completely by surprise and that IMO would only happen if they were the first set of Hugo-Murphy.

Agreed. What interesting to me is why haven't any of them though about just replicating the experiment with the nukes on a sun. Pick an uninteresting star - build a few monitoring stations and drop some nukes. Its 500 year old tech, it should be cake for them I would think.

Sean Roach on September 26, 2017, 01:43:50 pm

Agreed. What interesting to me is why haven't any of them though about just replicating the experiment with the nukes on a sun. Pick an uninteresting star - build a few monitoring stations and drop some nukes. Its 500 year old tech, it should be cake for them I would think.

The last one did. He had the opportunity while aboard the Soraxian vessel to observe a star behaving in a way that was useful to him, which is where he got his data to build a compensator.

The idea isn't hard to come to, but that doesn't mean they all had opportunity. The middle one may regret that he won't be able to test his theories until a few years from now, as he slow-boats his way to the nearest uninteresting star.

That's like commenting about someone who's already shipwrecked and adrift, "Well, why don't they build a better boat?". Great idea. I'm sure they'll think of that when next they chance upon a grove of some sort from which to construct that boat.

Oh, and the first one is a tad preoccupied with genocide at the moment.

macnut on September 26, 2017, 07:26:33 pm
I also think that Hugo2 and Murphy2 are likely stranded in interstellar space somewhere in that galaxy, slowboating it to the nearest star after their Murphy Drive failed. They may even be powered down on a ballistic trajectory to save fuel, indistinguishable from space debris and virtually undetectable. In which case it may be some time before we hear about their fate.

The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

Quinlan73 on September 26, 2017, 10:15:45 pm
Or Hugo 2 & Murphy 2 also encountered Theo and tried stopping him and he "prevented" that from happening.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 27, 2017, 12:35:09 am
Yeah, there should be 5 androids. One destroyed, one in charge of the Cush, two with Eithne, two unaccounted for.

Well it's obvious the gamer-gods are less than omnipotent, otherwise they wouldn't need help dealing with Hugo and Murphy.

What if Hugo & Murphy Mk.2 jumped into the galaxy in an out of the way place while the vibrometric constant was "wrong"? Could they be stuck between two spiral arms, 200+ light years from any resources? And not met anyone of the 4 main alien races?

I'm still stuck on the vibrometric constant. When and why does it change? Did Theo just give up trying to use the murphy drive? Because it seems like it got "fixed" at some point, perhaps only locally?