Rocketman on October 20, 2007, 07:17:54 pm
Normally, I said normally that is a violation of the open door act that expressly forbids that kind of action.  However it's a little like busting stockbrokers at major houses for insider trading.  While the feds do bust people now and then for it, it's very hard to prove in the first place as long as everyone keeps they'r mouth shut about it and claims that the act was a result of technicals influences affecting their decision.

archy on October 25, 2007, 05:31:18 pm
So, what's to stop them from having an informal discussion over breakfast, and a meeting, with minutes, after lunch?

In Indiana? The Public Meetings law, and an Official Misconduct statute that can result in felony charges for a single violation, or a state racketeering charge [with removal from office and triple damages for the plaintiff] for a continuing pattern of two or more instances of criminal activity. Neither can they claim ignorance of the law: since state law requires all state and local public officeholders to swear to support and uphold the US and state constitutions and the laws thereof, they're presumed to know those laws or to have prima facie perjured their oath of office.

In other states the laws may vary considerably. stronger or weaker as their electors deserve.

Indiana Code 5-14-1.5 Public Meetings (Open Door Law): http://www.state.in.us/legislative/ic/code/title5/ar14/ch1.5.html

Indiana Code 35-44-1 Bribery, Conflict of Interest, and Official Misconduct http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar44/ch1.html[/url]

Indiana Code IC 35-45-6 Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations:http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar45/ch6.html

"Racketeering activity" means to commit, to attempt to commit, to conspire to commit a violation of, or aiding and abetting in a violation of any of the following:       
        (1) A provision of IC 23-2-1, or of a rule or order issued under IC 23-2-1.
        (2) A violation of IC 35-45-9.
        (3) A violation of IC 35-47.
        (4) A violation of IC 35-49-3.
        (5) Murder (IC 35-42-1-1).
        (6) Battery as a Class C felony (IC 35-42-2-1).
        (7) Kidnapping (IC 35-42-3-2).
        (8) Human and sexual trafficking crimes (IC 35-42-3.5).
        (9) Child exploitation (IC 35-42-4-4).
        (10) Robbery (IC 35-42-5-1).
        (11) Carjacking (IC 35-42-5-2).
        (12) Arson (IC 35-43-1-1).
        (13) Burglary (IC 35-43-2-1).
        (14) Theft (IC 35-43-4-2).
        (15) Receiving stolen property (IC 35-43-4-2).
        (16) Forgery (IC 35-43-5-2).
        (17) Fraud (IC 35-43-5-4(1) through IC 35-43-5-4(9)).
        (18) Bribery (IC 35-44-1-1).
    (19) Official misconduct (IC 35-44-1-2).
        (20) Conflict of interest (IC 35-44-1-3).
    (21) Perjury (IC 35-44-2-1).
        (22) Obstruction of justice (IC 35-44-3-4).
        (23) Intimidation (IC 35-45-2-1).
        (24) Promoting prostitution (IC 35-45-4-4).
        (25) Promoting professional gambling (IC 35-45-5-4).
        (26) Dealing in or manufacturing cocaine or a narcotic drug (IC 35-48-4-1).
        (27) Dealing in or manufacturing methamphetamine (IC 35-48-4-1.1).
        (28) Dealing in a schedule I, II, or III controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-2).
        (29) Dealing in a schedule IV controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-3).
        (30) Dealing in a schedule V controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-4).
        (31) Dealing in marijuana, hash oil, or hashish (IC 35-48-4-10).
        (32) Money laundering (IC 35-45-15-5).
        (33) A violation of IC 35-47.5-5.

Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....

Rocketman on October 25, 2007, 09:42:45 pm
Archy:
     You've obviously done your home work however like I said before alot of stuff that's illegal in government goes on that is never prosecuted.  Right now in Kokomo we have a mayor who is in office for another month and a half (he didn't get his own parties nomination to be reelected.  That should tell you something.) who just decided to put a roundabout in Highland Park (about a 2 and a half miles from my home) without consulting the Park board or the county highway department.  He just ordered it done and told no one. I should note that the park board had a meeting about a week and a half before this and never was told of the roundabout.  The same mayor did everything that he could to shut down the stripbars in town because he didn't approve of them.  In one case he used the arguement that a small chapel (usually empty) at a med clinic was a church in order to prohibit the bar from getting a renewal on it's liquor licence.  After a scathing article about him in one of the papers in town he ordered that the paper boxes be gathered up and removed because he claimed papers were papers were falling out, scattering in the streets and becoming trash. (absolutely B.S.)  And by the way this is not the first time that he did a roundabout.  The first time he had a big fight with the city council in town and had it rammed through.  After it was built the city found out that it wasn't big enough to allow a fire truck to pass through it and in the event of a fire will have to go to the next road to get where the fire is (about another half mile each way.   >:(  >:(  >:(     One last thing that REALLY got my goat.  When he ran for his parties nomination he claimed to have reduced taxes and he was a "Reagan Republican"!!!  Every time I heard that claim it made me physically sick. >:(
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:04:30 pm by Rocketman »

archy on July 10, 2008, 11:21:59 am
Archy:
     You've obviously done your home work however like I said before alot of stuff that's illegal in government goes on that is never prosecuted. 

I'm a former newspaperman, on and off, including a stretch as a syndicated columnist for the Indiana-based Hiatt Newspaper chain in the '80s-'90s. I then went on to cover the Mid-South [Memphis/Nashville/Little Rock] for Joe Farah's World Net Daily and Dispatches Magazine during the late Clinton Administration years, resulting stories costing Al Gore victory in his home precinct, home county and home state- and had he carried TN, he wouldn't have needed the electoral votes from *hanging chad* Florida so desperately.

Right now in Kokomo we have a mayor who is in office for another month and a half (he didn't get his own parties nomination to be reelected.  That should tell you something.) who just decided to put a roundabout in Highland Park (about a 2 and a half miles from my home) without consulting the Park board or the county highway department.  He just ordered it done and told no one. I should note that the park board had a meeting about a week and a half before this and never was told of the roundabout.  The same mayor did everything that he could to shut down the stripbars in town because he didn't approve of them.  In one case he used the arguement that a small chapel (usually empty) at a med clinic was a church in order to prohibit the bar from getting a renewal on it's liquor licence.  After a scathing article about him in one of the papers in town he ordered that the paper boxes be gathered up and removed because he claimed papers were papers were falling out, scattering in the streets and becoming trash. (absolutely B.S.)  And by the way this is not the first time that he did a roundabout.  The first time he had a big fight with the city council in town and had it rammed through.  After it was built the city found out that it wasn't big enough to allow a fire truck to pass through it and in the event of a fire will have to go to the next road to get where the fire is (about another half mile each way.   >:(  >:(  >:(     One last thing that REALLY got my goat.  When he ran for his parties nomination he claimed to have reduced taxes and he was a "Reagan Republican"!!!  Every time I heard that claim it made me physically sick. >:(

I'm working on it. But busy with similar scandals in Gary, http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2008/March/08_crt_177.html East Chicago http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/press/Release.ECRICO04.html and Vincennes...that last in which local cops could face death penalties: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/jun/10/man-dies-in-jail-after-taser-incident/

I keep telling people I retired from the newschaser bix back around 09/12/2001. But I guess it's really *semiretired.*

Ah'm just a lowly salesman for the Deef Smith Greeting Card Company....