Skull the Troll on August 29, 2017, 10:08:41 am
I wonder how long he's been wondering about the similarities between this galaxy and the fiction of his long ago youth. I think Theo must be affected in some way because it seems far more likely that Hugo is right about this being a Star Trek expy of some sort than the fantastic coincidence of all these races arriving at this point naturally.

Apollo-Soyuz on August 29, 2017, 04:08:25 pm
I don't think it's established that the Star Trek franchise ever happened in the VibeVerse. Of course Hugh has discussed the range of humanoids found in this galaxy already (page=1624)

I wonder how long he's been wondering about the similarities between this galaxy and the fiction of his long ago youth. I think Theo must be affected in some way because it seems far more likely that Hugo is right about this being a Star Trek expy of some sort than the fantastic coincidence of all these races arriving at this point naturally.

DrakBibliophile on August 30, 2017, 12:12:56 am
At the end of Volume Three, Nicole is thinking/talking about the star explorers not finding any intelligent life and mentions Star Trek aliens not being found (as well as other fictional aliens).

I don't think it's established that the Star Trek franchise ever happened in the VibeVerse. Of course Hugh has discussed the range of humanoids found in this galaxy already (page=1624)

Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

DrakBibliophile on August 30, 2017, 12:18:36 am
Yep, see http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1094

At the end of Volume Three, Nicole is thinking/talking about the star explorers not finding any intelligent life and mentions Star Trek aliens not being found (as well as other fictional aliens).

Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Apollo-Soyuz on August 30, 2017, 10:10:29 am
I officially stand corrected.

>Hugo: Because I've seen this all before, a very long time ago. (page=1668)

So Star Trek Next Generation premiered on TV roughly a millennium prior, if I have my math right. So I guess we can excuse Hugo Mk3 for just suddenly remembering about it.

Theory: Hugo Mk2 became Theo, and somehow Hugo Mk1 is responsible for the simulation.

Theory2: since jump drive tech has been around for centuries, another earthling we have not met is responsible for creating the simulation.  Maybe his spacecraft is named "the Invisible Hand" as a homage to Star Wars and other things? The return of Tobor/Mr Graves might explain why Murphy was destroyed.

I don't know if I've said it, but several years ago we discussed the idea of a archenemy like Mr Graves keeping a good backup in a secure location. The current story is obvious fan service to that idea, except flipped on it's head -- Murphy and Hugo are the ones that keep coming back from the dead. 

Yep, see http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1094

Apollo-Soyuz on August 30, 2017, 10:16:12 am
The only problem that I have with Tobor/Mr Graves is that while he was cunning, persistent, and full of tricks, he wasn't portrayed as a brilliant mad scientist. So if someone is mucking with the vibrometric constant on purpose it's probably not him.

The constant might wax and wain every couple of years, giving a natural window where the drive will work.

Skull the Troll on August 30, 2017, 11:08:33 am
The only problem that I have with Tobor/Mr Graves is that while he was cunning, persistent, and full of tricks, he wasn't portrayed as a brilliant mad scientist. So if someone is mucking with the vibrometric constant on purpose it's probably not him.

The constant might wax and wain every couple of years, giving a natural window where the drive will work.

They got it working again though because they got back to tell Nicole about it.

anything