Ed_Bear on September 02, 2017, 04:36:14 pm
To briefly and not whole heartedly defend the devil though, Hugo 1 didn't really have a choice at any stage once he was captured and tortured.  Once he was hooked up and locked into combat with the original Cush hive mind, he either conquered the hive mind or it was going to conquer him.  Once he took over the Cush, he inherited the conflict that the Cush were in, which was a fight to the death with the other 3 civilizations.  He could download into smaller Avatar and make a run for it but there's no guarantee the Cush wouldn't eventually come after him and the rest Universe while they are at it.

As it is presented, this really isn't a Galaxy where peace is possible.  How much of it is a fabricated simulation remains to be seen but the universe as Hugo 1 saw it didn't really present him with a lot of options.  Hence the reversion to Theo:  This may finally be a Galaxy where Theo belongs.

Sean Roach on September 02, 2017, 09:36:50 pm
To briefly and not whole heartedly defend the devil though, Hugo 1 didn't really have a choice at any stage once he was captured and tortured.  Once he was hooked up and locked into combat with the original Cush hive mind, he either conquered the hive mind or it was going to conquer him.  Once he took over the Cush, he inherited the conflict that the Cush were in, which was a fight to the death with the other 3 civilizations.  He could download into smaller Avatar and make a run for it but there's no guarantee the Cush wouldn't eventually come after him and the rest Universe while they are at it.

As it is presented, this really isn't a Galaxy where peace is possible.  How much of it is a fabricated simulation remains to be seen but the universe as Hugo 1 saw it didn't really present him with a lot of options.  Hence the reversion to Theo:  This may finally be a Galaxy where Theo belongs.

I see other alternatives.
If he has control of the Cush, he can presumably tell them to "sleep" as Locutis suggested. Presumably, he remembers that solution.
If he has write-access to the Cush, he can run for it, and leave a zero-day logic bomb to scrub the Cush's memory of him, and maybe give them a set of instructions that will give him a generous head start, if he doesn't want to cause them direct harm.
He might just order a good old-fashioned self-destruct.

This is old-school Theo. Someone hurt someone he loved, badly. He will now exact the proper amount of revenge.
We even saw that when Seamus, Nicole, and Buford were sailing away from the moon. Seamus extracted the proper amount of revenge on the police system that brutalized, but did not manage to kill, his protege. Two cops, the two dirty cops who were paid to pick her up and drag her in, were killed by a Nicole shaped drone in a Bubb.

I must presume that Theo/Seamus/Hugo/et. al. has regularly let vent his anger at some group by removing them from the gene pool. Here, he's blaming a whole race for not just the murder of his beloved, but also her torture.

It might not help, however, that his mind has been modified. While he may think he's in charge of the Cush, he may have adopted their objectives as his own, or rather had their objectives written over his own objectives, as part of his mind's remodeling.

One must hope that Hugh 1.0c will decide that the Gluteans have had a sufficient comeuppance when Eithne basically left one of their cruisers defenseless just outside a pirates' den.

Edit. I thought of a solution to the Cush's zero-inventiveness problem. Spin off individual drones to think for themselves, but desire to rejoin with the hive after a set period. Heck, I strongly suspect there are a few human religions that believe that when we die, our souls don't live on as individuals, but become a part of a larger meta-consciousness.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:40:32 pm by Sean Roach »

brossa on September 07, 2017, 12:33:37 pm
I find that there is definitely something 'off' about Theo's motivations/behavior, at least after the reunion with Hugo 3.0/Murphy 3.0, but perhaps it's because I don't understand how duplicates of individuals are handled in the QV universe. In a universe where artifolk/tinmen are routinely rebuilt and rebooted from backups, what is the meaning of death as an emotional trigger or a behavior motivator? An earlier version of Hugo (I'm assuming it was 1.0 rather than 2.0) was traumatized by the torturing and death of his Murphy, later took over the Cush, and then decided to go genocidal on the Brennir. That makes a certain kind of sense. But when Hugo 3.0 and Murphy 3.0 show up, what would we expect his reaction to normally be in-universe?

Should he see them as totally different people who share much of his memories, but are not 'really' him and 'his' Murphy? Like the two Rikers, who are not interchangeable?
Should he see Hugo 3.0 as himself, and want/be obligated to recombine with him and proceed as Hugo (1 + 3)?
Should he continue to mourn 'his' Murphy as irretrievably dead, or would Murphy 3.0 be an acceptable replacement, albeit with some memory differences (assuming she was willing to join him)? Would he be satisfied if Murphy spun off a Murphy 4.0 to partner with him? Does eliminating the Brennir still seem to him to be an appropriate response, when his partner is quite clearly still alive and kicking in front of him?
Why would seeing Murphy 3.0 be painful for Theo, when seeing Nicole as a tinman after her bio-death wasn't considered tragic?

It seems quite possible that Theo's treatment at the hands of the Brennir or his assimilation into the Cush has driven him mad in some way, but it's tough to know how abnormal his behavior is when we don't understand what the baseline normal behavior is. It's an area that's rich for exploration. For example, how much filial affection would Nicole be expected to feel for Hugos 1, 2, 3, ...., n, ... if they were all in a room together? Hugo 1 is the 'oldest' and has the greatest shared experience with Nicole, while Hugo 10 may be only a few minutes old but share all the same memories. Now what if Seamus gets wheeled in in a bacta tank, having been secretly living as a bio-person this whole time as a brain in a jar?

macnut on September 08, 2017, 10:07:09 am
From what we've seen in the comic, duplicate individuals are generally not supposed to be running around. Mind-state backups are only supposed to be activated in the event of the death of the individual who made the backup. Otherwise, you run into the issues you mentioned in your post above. Most important of those issues in this anarcho-capitalist society is that of property rights; when you have duplicate individuals they can all stake a claim to the same set of property and assets, which could turn into quite the conflict if they refuse to share.

Death of the individual who made the backup should be confirmed before the backup is activated. However, since Hugo and Murphy went exploring in a distant galaxy, confirmation of their demise when they didn't return became all but impossible. The only reasonable course seemed to be presuming them dead, and activating their backups. The result is the growing clusterfuck we see unfolding in recent comics.

The MacNut, Creator of the superhero space opera webcomic The Vanguard

Sean Roach on September 08, 2017, 03:43:08 pm
From what we've seen in the comic, duplicate individuals are generally not supposed to be running around. Mind-state backups are only supposed to be activated in the event of the death of the individual who made the backup. Otherwise, you run into the issues you mentioned in your post above. Most important of those issues in this anarcho-capitalist society is that of property rights; when you have duplicate individuals they can all stake a claim to the same set of property and assets, which could turn into quite the conflict if they refuse to share....

You might like to poke around orionsarm.com a bit. The site does include some discussion of people "forking", and also re-iintegrating, as an accepted part of different societies.
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/480fe08113f50

Apollo-Soyuz on September 13, 2017, 08:44:21 am
So I think it's important to realize that when Hugo (1.0 or 2.0 we don't know which) took over the Cush, he seems to have practically transformed into a new person.

http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1670

Since the merge and Murphy's death probably brought out long suppressed memories of genocide, Hugh became Theo again. I would guess we should consider them two individuals with a common heritage.

(guess) Theo is to the Cush as the Borg Queen was to the Borg.

I imagine the cane he carries is a nod to the First Doctor (played by William Hartnell), but knowing the source it may very well serve a defensive purpose too.

http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=847

Likewise, I assume Alyss' death and merge came with the same potential personality changes too

http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1397

UncleRice on September 13, 2017, 10:08:09 am

Likewise, I assume Alyss' death and merge came with the same potential personality changes too

That I have doubts about. The cush sound more advanced and more designed to assimilate others that the Master Control that Alyss ran into. I would wager Alyss is pretty much unchanged from the transfer.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on September 15, 2017, 02:27:03 pm

That I have doubts about. The cush sound more advanced and more designed to assimilate others that the Master Control that Alyss ran into. I would wager Alyss is pretty much unchanged from the transfer.

Alyss was restored back in Oz from a back-up she'd made just prior to the final raid on Zytemonde which freed the prisoners. So, that Alyss is unaltered. The version of her that stayed on Zytemonde, on the other hand? Well, that's another story. ;-)

Apollo-Soyuz on September 15, 2017, 05:25:14 pm
The version of her that stayed on Zytemonde, on the other hand? Well, that's another story. ;-)

Yes, thanks for clarifying. That's what I meant.

We should start calling the version on Zytemonde "Master Alyss" or something.  ("MP Alyss"?)

And I sure hope it's another story.

anything