emb021 on August 22, 2017, 02:24:26 pm
Ok, so this is one of the two (that's how many there are, right?) earlier Hugos that have now gone back to being Theo.

I suspect that something horrific happened that also caused the death of "his" Murphy, and this has caused him to "revert" to Theo.  Is he the true "power" behind the Cush?  Did he create or just take over the Cush?  And what are Theo's goals.  Am guessing not good.  Maybe he thinks that controlling sentient life will avoid the pain he has suffered that cause his revert.

Time will tell.

Quinlan73 on August 23, 2017, 08:05:23 am
My money is on him taking it over. Even Theo couldn't build an armada large enough to threaten all the other governments in such a short time,

I'm really worried about this "reversion" however. The last time Theo was around he was a genocidal mass murderer who tried to exterminate a religion for revenge. This does not bode well I think for how "Hugo" & his Murphy will take this change.

Ed_Bear on August 23, 2017, 11:09:59 am
I vote taking it over also.  It also looks like his body was more or less destroyed and he survived by sequestering himself in something and then busting out. 

It's also pretty clear Alys's paranoia and countermeasures were the key to this version of Hugo and Murphy surviving.  One of the things that bothered me even in this version is how reckless Hugo and Murphy were.  I would have never gone back to the butt-faces after that first round of combat with the raiders. 

Really, really great story telling in this Arc.

UncleRice on August 24, 2017, 08:02:40 am
Someone once wrote that "Mere oppression will make a wise man act crazy." I'm guessing that his version of Murphy was tortured to death and this brought out the Theo in Hugo. The Cush then captured the ship he was on allowing him to co-opt the Cush and he is now unleashing some form of vengeance on his former captives.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

cv0k on August 24, 2017, 12:41:44 pm
I am still quite unclear on WHY a robotic body cannot ignore basically any pain / damage.
I absolutely understand that you need acces to those senses, but making the inputs not not controlable - WTF? Seriously, if you wanted to sell me a chassis into which I could upload my mind and central damage / pain control was impossible, I would send you to hell and buy from the competition.

Ed_Bear on August 24, 2017, 07:09:17 pm
I am still quite unclear on WHY a robotic body cannot ignore basically any pain / damage.
I absolutely understand that you need acces to those senses, but making the inputs not not controlable - WTF? Seriously, if you wanted to sell me a chassis into which I could upload my mind and central damage / pain control was impossible, I would send you to hell and buy from the competition.

All fair points, no way would I not have pain negation as an option, along with the negation of emotion and superfluous thought processes on command.

For the purposes of story telling I can see pain being locked in somehow though.
Someone once wrote that "Mere oppression will make a wise man act crazy." I'm guessing that his version of Murphy was tortured to death and this brought out the Theo in Hugo. The Cush then captured the ship he was on allowing him to co-opt the Cush and he is now unleashing some form of vengeance on his former captives.

Wow, I would have turned into Theo even if Theo didn't exist before.

Sean Roach on August 25, 2017, 10:42:35 am
It's an option, but it's like wiggling your ears, or doing fine manipulation with your toes. You, technically, have the ability, but you have to train it before you can use it.
Look into meditation. Both for pain control and emotion control.
Mind you, it's not an off switch, but it makes a handy mute, in the traditional meaning of the word.

All fair points, no way would I not have pain negation as an option, along with the negation of emotion and superfluous thought processes on command.

For the purposes of story telling I can see pain being locked in somehow though.

Wow, I would have turned into Theo even if Theo didn't exist before.

Bob G on August 25, 2017, 08:03:35 pm
I'm really worried about this "reversion" however. The last time Theo was around he was a genocidal mass murderer who tried to exterminate a religion for revenge. This does not bode well I think for how "Hugo" & his Murphy will take this change.

Yup.  Mass murderer.  Though apparently inadvertently so in this case; and if expressions of emotion in a cyborg can be trusted, at least remorseful about it this time around.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

wdg3rd on September 01, 2017, 06:55:28 am
Yeah, reversion in more than just appearance.  Back to being all genocidal in strip 1671.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:57:22 am by wdg3rd »
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Quinlan73 on September 01, 2017, 08:28:21 am
Oh, this is going to be a fracking mess. *Goes to ready his fallout shelter.*

UncleRice on September 01, 2017, 08:48:59 am
Between 1670 and 1671 I have to wonder if Hugo even exists in this Neo Theo except fragmentally. It's like this person has had some kind of futuristic version of traumatic brain injury. Traumatic mind injury? He may have conquered the Cush, but the Cush have corrupted his mind.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

lee n. field on September 01, 2017, 09:11:44 am

Yup.  Mass murderer.  Though apparently inadvertently so in this case; and if expressions of emotion in a cyborg can be trusted, at least remorseful about it this time around.

And as we see in today's epiosde (1sep2017) the augmented/absorbed Theo is quite cool with mass murder.

(And why is he carrying a cane?  An affectation?)

It might be interesting to compare and contrast Theo with Alys, who's copy on the Venus project colony did a similar takeover.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:13:58 am by lee n. field »

Skull the Troll on September 01, 2017, 10:15:14 am

And as we see in today's epiosde (1sep2017) the augmented/absorbed Theo is quite cool with mass murder.

(And why is he carrying a cane?  An affectation?)

It might be interesting to compare and contrast Theo with Alys, who's copy on the Venus project colony did a similar takeover.

And he's encouraging them to fix the Drive. That's not good. I wonder if that's why the second Hugo isn't around. Refused to fix the drive and thus didn't come back.

Redwood Elf on September 01, 2017, 05:08:07 pm
Yes, Hugo Mark 1 has left the building.

Bob G on September 02, 2017, 02:55:46 am
So, inadvertent mass murder of innocents causes at least a momentary remorse; calculated planned genocide of an entire race is contemplated with anticipation.  Yeah, Theo is up to his old tricks.  I hope Hugo & Murphy V x are up to being able to monkey wrench his machinations.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song