cj95 on July 17, 2017, 11:32:11 am
Gah....

While cool for flavor, I always have huge problems with the kilosecons and megaseconds thing in translating them to actual time.

Anyone else have issues or any handy dandy tips for quick translation without resorting to google all the time.

Apollo-Soyuz on July 17, 2017, 04:12:45 pm
for hours, divide by 3600 (not 360)

I keep a window open with python3 running and use that as a command line calculator.

GeoModder on July 17, 2017, 05:17:13 pm
200 million seconds? Is that a typo? That's over 6 years!
How long were Hugo and Murphy stuck on Casa Sui before the Soroxian ship showed up?

Scott on July 19, 2017, 03:03:21 pm
200 million seconds? Is that a typo? That's over 6 years!
How long were Hugo and Murphy stuck on Casa Sui before the Soroxian ship showed up?

Worse than a typo, that was a complete foul-up. I don't know what was going on there. I'll fix it.

UncleRice on July 27, 2017, 09:43:11 am
A spread sheet can be made to translate fairly easily.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Scott on July 27, 2017, 10:06:22 am
When you have a civilization living on multiple worlds in various star systems, time units like "day" or "month" or "year" are different for every locality. Which can cause a lot of confusion. And hardly apply at all in a place like Oz/Bubbleopolis.

But the "second" is an SI unit, so could be regarded as "universal." Or universal enough, anyway.

Think of it this way: An hour is 3,600 seconds. A Terran "day" is 86,400 seconds.  A week is a bit more than 600 kiloseconds. A month is roughly 2.5 megaseconds. A year is be roughly 26 megaseconds. Those who travel among worlds might start thinking of a "day" as 100 kiloseconds, a "week" as 1 megasecond, a "month" as 3 megaseconds, etc. Or not. Each ship might keep time according to homeworld chronometers.

I haven't squared all this with "standard year" yet, which is the same as a Terran year. Given enough time I'll come up with something.

anything