Zeppflyer on February 14, 2007, 05:34:30 pm
What is the significance of the legend over the door of Liberty Hall?

"You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard."

I've a gut feeling that the cat bit has some connection to Robert Heinlein, but for the life of me, I can't think what.

wdg3rd on February 14, 2007, 07:48:21 pm
It is from the works of A. Bertram Chandler (1912-1984), best known for his novels covering the career of the man eventually known as Commodore John Grimes.  It was a standard directive issued by Grimes to his subordinates when meeting in his quarters.  "This is Liberty Hall.  You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard." 
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Rocketman on February 14, 2007, 08:38:07 pm
Thanks for the update wdg3rd.  When I read that before in TPB I had always assumed that the quote came from Bob Heinlein too, but I just couldn't remember where.  It sure does sound like something he would say.

41 mag on March 15, 2007, 04:03:30 am
the possible confusion is that heinlein also used that same quote in "time enough for love "

wdg3rd on March 15, 2007, 11:05:56 am
the possible confusion is that heinlein also used that same quote in "time enough for love "

Reference?  I just reread TEfL a couple of months back and don't recall the usage.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

41 mag on May 20, 2007, 09:33:13 pm
it is also used in stranger in a strange land by jubal

anything