Apollo-Soyuz on March 19, 2017, 12:31:43 pm
Even if the jump drive did take as long to cover distance from the perspective of an outside observer as portrayed by Hugh's lie, by the subjective experience of a passenger it's still practically instantaneous.  But interrogators have been known to incessantly hit a subject with a line, even if it's not accurate, until they slip up.

Hopefully Eithne was properly briefed, since she didn't attend the faked slipstream demo. She might have the foresight now to shut up. If that's what happens this week then we're probably going to progress to what was suggested by page=1492

I never thought of Eithne as a cyborg, but I guess she has the standard 'plant and blood nanites.

I guess this goes a bit beyond the idea that the government can do no wrong even when it comes to stealing. The Cush are their biggest bogey-man and are cyborgs, and Eithne is too.

Drolekirts on March 19, 2017, 09:19:15 pm
I never thought of Eithne as a cyborg, but I guess she has the standard 'plant and blood nanites.

Same here. I bet Eithne never really thought of herself as a cyborg, either, just as people with cochlear implants or artificial heart valves probably don't think of themselves as "cyborgs".  I don't recall if the strip mentioned her having nanites, although we know that they are fairly commonplace. But the cortical implant is very suspicious, from the Glute's standpoint.

It reminds me of the Isaac Asimov story "The Bicentennial Man" where the protagonist, a positronic robot, eventually replaces more and more of his mechanical components with biological ones in an effort to be adjudged a man as opposed to a machine. Part of the story specifically deals with the question of whether mechanical parts and implants lessen one's humanity--how much machinery can a person have and still be considered a "person"?
"If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side..!"

UncleRice on March 20, 2017, 09:04:55 am
I suspect that her nannites have been colonizing that collar and are about to deactivate it.
Sort of an immune system that functions out side of the body. Yeah, no reason she shouldn't have that.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

PeterH on March 20, 2017, 09:29:59 am
I suspect that her nannites have been colonizing that collar and are about to deactivate it.
Sort of an immune system that functions out side of the body. Yeah, no reason she shouldn't have that.
Not like there's any way that could go horribly wrong. /sarc

BadCyborg on March 21, 2017, 11:29:00 am
Looks like Eithne is being hoisted on Hugo's petard. I do doubt the Heiney folk would have believed that nearly instantaneous translation is possible since they use an Alcubierre-type warp drive for superluminal travel. So you can sort of understand why Hugo tried the dodge.

I can understand why the Heineys would think Eithne is the real boss of the mission. For one thing, she is a human female and in Heiney society females rule. Additionally, she is the only meat person and these folks would have a culltural bias towards natural folks. Unfortunately, they appear have an aversion to being augmented cybernetically and with their history of fighting cyborgs, it makes sense that she would be suspect. Wonder what they would think of me with a honking big surgical staple in one ankle, a titanium bracket in my neck and a pacemaker keeping my heart beating -and me alive in the process (if the pacer stops, I stop about half a minute later).

In any case, I wish Hugo would get the lead out of his ass and rescue our girl. I, for one, am not ready for her to transition to arti-person status. I also hope that that big laser cannon our girl  built into the latest rev of the flivver is powerful enough to swat those walking duck calls upside the head a good one!

PeterH on March 21, 2017, 12:37:29 pm
Before they can mount a rescue, the ship needs an operational superluminal drive.