Apollo-Soyuz on January 07, 2017, 06:55:12 am
page=1504

They both use three warp nacelles with a ring connecting them all. Also, they both seem to use antimatter/matter for propulsion. 

DrakBibliophile on January 07, 2017, 10:32:08 am
Look at the appearance of the Hull, IMO Scott intended them to be a different ship-type.

The first Hull type is Pseudo Star Fleet while the new Hull type isn't.

Mind you, they could be the same species as the first aliens.

Plenty of SF writers have had Human "Good Guys" fighting against Human "Bad Guys".

page=1504

They both use three warp nacelles with a ring connecting them all. Also, they both seem to use antimatter/matter for propulsion.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Sean Roach on January 07, 2017, 10:44:02 am
My read is the ring IS the nacelle. The current image of an Alcubierre drive is that of a ring. I don't know enough to know if that's driven by the math, or if it's just a projection that has stuck. My suspicion is that the form is informed by the math.

Here's someone's answer. Again, I don't know enough to validate it.
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/201443/why-is-an-alcubierre-drive-shaped-like-it-is

DrakBibliophile on January 07, 2017, 01:08:12 pm
Nod.

The Physics of the drive mandates its appearance.

My read is the ring IS the nacelle. The current image of an Alcubierre drive is that of a ring. I don't know enough to know if that's driven by the math, or if it's just a projection that has stuck. My suspicion is that the form is informed by the math.

Here's someone's answer. Again, I don't know enough to validate it.
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/201443/why-is-an-alcubierre-drive-shaped-like-it-is

El Jefe on January 10, 2017, 02:25:44 am
Take a look at Original Series Kingon starships vs. Federation starships.  There were differences, but they both used warp technology, and both had two engine nacelles on booms from a central body.

This could well be just a variation on that theme.

Redwood Elf on January 10, 2017, 10:24:08 am
And even the sublight cloaking Romulan ships had a similar layout (2 drive nacelles on booms)

RobbinR on January 12, 2017, 05:46:46 am
My oh my, Seamus told a lie. But did Scott make a typo?

UncleRice on January 13, 2017, 08:34:55 am
And they are arguing like an old married couple.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Redwood Elf on January 13, 2017, 09:49:29 am
Well now they'll have to either invent a slipstream drive, or fess up that they have jump drive instead.

customdesigned on January 13, 2017, 02:49:30 pm
Well now they'll have to either invent a slipstream drive, or fess up that they have jump drive instead.
I can see the wheels turning inside our pixie's head...

DrakBibliophile on January 13, 2017, 06:43:34 pm
I can see the wheels turning inside our pixie's head...

Yep.  ;D

RobbinR on January 14, 2017, 04:05:57 pm
From page 1509...  Hugo and Murphy, Murphy is surprised.
Hugo: I told them our star-drive is based on hyperspace slipsteams.   <--- Oops, an r missing here.

customdesigned on January 15, 2017, 05:40:03 pm
From page 1509...  Hugo and Murphy, Murphy is surprised.
Hugo: I told them our star-drive is based on hyperspace slipsteams.   <--- Oops, an r missing here.
Slipsteam is where you raise the temperature of the quantum froth to reduce inertial drag.

lurkergao on January 15, 2017, 11:39:25 pm
quite frankly they don't have to give these guys anything, how does our stardrive work? magic! that's what any race in master of orion would say.

Apollo-Soyuz on January 16, 2017, 09:11:15 am
quite frankly they don't have to give these guys anything, how does our stardrive work? magic! that's what any race in master of orion would say.

Give them the God story: https://youtu.be/3cJ_TpNnApQ?t=12m13s  "There are some things we are not permitted to tell you..."

And how exactly did they take care of the exploding warp core? Program a hopper to go scoop it up and then pop out of the area?

anything