Frankjc3rd on May 19, 2006, 01:09:43 pm
Pretend someone has money to burn.  Now pretend they would like to bankroll a "The Probability Broach" mini series.

Who would you cast for the lead roles?

I have some names, (and some faces where the names escape me) but I'm curious as to other ideas.
Nothing is forever, but the internet comes close.
Anonymous
I know me, I've seen me do it.
Ron White

Frank B. on May 20, 2006, 04:51:08 pm
I'm having a hard time casting Captain Forsythe, Dr Olongo Fanshaw, and OOloorie Eckickeck P'wheet.  ::)

Jake B. on May 21, 2006, 01:29:20 am
ya, I don't know where to find talking dolphins or monkeys, so theyed probably have to be CG, or some really extreme plastic surgery.  :-\
" Don't get mad, get sadistic." Cryptosporodium - 'Destroy All Humans!'- (?-?-1950s)

Frankjc3rd on May 21, 2006, 03:43:51 pm
ya, I don't know where to find talking dolphins or monkeys, so theyed probably have to be CG, or some really extreme plastic surgery.  :-\

They could probably use the same makeup technques as in the "Planet of the Apes" remake, and CG the dolphin.

I'm thinking that the ranks of Playboy could be searched for Clarissa MacDougal and D.J. Thorens.

For Lucy Kropotkin you could go with a young actress in makeup or just get Phyllis Diller ;D.

How to do Win Bear and his cosmic twin Ed?  Same actor and do a split screen or use twins and put one in makeup?
Anonymous
Ron White

Frank B. on May 23, 2006, 02:53:33 pm
I don't think you could do the apes as humans in costume.  That's never looked right.  More
likely you'd have to CG the apes, and use a trained dolphin for Ooloorie.

Don't know about using playmates.  Yes, very lovely.  But can they act?  There
are plenty of hollywood starlets that could probably do those parts.  They don't
actually have to be blonde of course.  I haven't got any good ideas for them
or Lucy.

I think Win/Ed could be done with the same actor.  Cast for Ed, and then use
makeup to make him look like Win.  I can't think of any native american actors
that look like him.

Akira MacKenzie on June 11, 2006, 01:07:40 am
I always imagined Robert Beltran from ST: Voyager as Win/Ed.
Edward James Olmos as Burgess
Rutger Hauer as John Jay Madison
John Cleese as the voice of Olongoo Fanshaw.

Jen Zach on June 15, 2006, 10:43:27 pm

heehee yeah, totally- although I think Terry Jones would be even better for the dolphin's voice. Something about the Welsh accent. There's nothing stuffy about a dolphin, which is the image Cleese's voice tends to bring.

Scott on June 16, 2006, 07:56:12 pm
FWIW, Win Bear was modeled approximately on Bob Hoskins (the lead "human" character of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), and Clarissa MacDougal was modeled on Jill Clayburgh (with a bit of Melinda May thrown in). Lucy Kropotkin was supposed to be based on Thelma Ritter, but she sort of morphed into Irene Ryan.

Of course, a TPB movie made in the near future would need a different cast, because many of these actors are either dead or too old to play these roles now.

Frankjc3rd on June 18, 2006, 11:48:31 pm
He's used to blue screen/splitscreen from working at ST: Voyager.

Inspired.

This could work.

He did the voice of the gorilla in the "George of the Jungle" movie, this would be good.

There are many voice actors who would be good for OOloori.
Anonymous
Ron White

Roberta X on July 01, 2006, 11:57:17 am
     I lke Akira's suggested casting, and will add:

Maurice LaMarche ("The Brain") as the voice of Capt. Forsyth!

Lucille Kropotkin after rejuv: Jessica Alba?  She's definitely irreverent enough.  But would she play the older-looking Lucy?  I think she could.  Or maybe Morena Baccarin (Firefly)?

D. J. Thorens: Please remember she's the world's most beautiful physicist.  So while she's really, really pretty, she needn't be played by a centerfold model.  How about Lexa Doig? (Andromeda, Stargate SG-1)  Among other things, she can act like she's got a clue about very technical topics, and she's certainly got the looks.

I'm wondering about Jewel Staite (Firefly) as Clarissa.

We might also speculate that anorexia is not as common in the NAC as it is here in the 'States, so perhaps the actresses playing D. J., Clarissa, etc. shouldn't be stick-thin but of more normal proportions.  Jewel might have to put on a little weight.
By 1913, it was too late.

Frank B. on July 01, 2006, 05:05:54 pm
     I'm wondering about Jewel Staite (Firefly) as Clarissa.

We might also speculate that anorexia is not as common in the NAC as it is here in the 'States, so perhaps the actresses playing D. J., Clarissa, etc. shouldn't be stick-thin but of more normal proportions.  Jewel might have to put on a little weight.
Of course she is also fairly thin, but what about Sarah Michelle Geller?  We know she can play smart and tough.  A little small for the part physically, but just like she did with Buffy, she can make the character seem bigger with attitude.

Jake B. on July 02, 2006, 10:52:44 pm

He would look like Ed, and you could probably do the makeup and a fat suit ( a really small one though) to make him look like Win.

FWIW, Win Bear was modeled approximately on Bob Hoskins (the lead "human" character of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?)

He would look kinda like Win,The right figure, but you would have to have someone else as Ed ( No gause lense[if thats how you spell it] would make him look like Ed.)
" Don't get mad, get sadistic." Cryptosporodium - 'Destroy All Humans!'- (?-?-1950s)

wdg3rd on July 07, 2006, 11:18:39 am
For Win and Ed, I'd go with Richard Chaves (Colonel Paul Ironhorse in the "War of the Worlds" TV series some years back) rather than Beltran.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

LNeil on July 13, 2006, 06:44:30 pm
....It might interest you all to know that my original model for Win Bear was the actor Edward Asner, in his role of Lou Grant on Mary Tyler Moore's TV show. Of course Asner's politics couldn't possibly be more repulsive, but the same is very likely true for any or all of the actors being mentioned on this topic. Bob Hoskins came along later and, as Eddie Valiant,  was much closer to the Win Bear that I created.
....As Scott has said, my model for Clarissa was Jill Clayburgh, as she appeared in _The Silver Streak_ (remember, you must be "nasty to nasturtiums!". Thelma Ritter (check her out in _How the West Was Won_) is and always will be Lucy. The model for Deejay was Loni Anderson. Who you'd cast today is an interesting question.
....Whoever suggested Robert Beltran for Win and Ed was right on. Another acor who would have worked at one time is Graham Greene. I never thought of Rutger Hauer for John Jay Madison, but he'd be absolutely perfect. The fellow who played Dana and Fox's boss on _The X-Files_ is a very fine actor and could do Oscar Burgess very welll. The actor who played the serial killer that Steven Seagal shot in the church in _The Glimmer Man_ could play the head of the physics department at CSU.
....As to the simians and cetaceans, I think by now that we've improved on makeup and costume over _Planet of the Apes_ and something like that could be done. Male chimpanzees are much bigger and burlier than most people realize. And the porpoise would have to be CGI.

wdg3rd on July 17, 2006, 01:51:15 pm
....As to the simians and cetaceans, I think by now that we've improved on makeup and costume over _Planet of the Apes_ and something like that could be done. Male chimpanzees are much bigger and burlier than most people realize.
Most of the chimpanzees people see on screen are children.  Adult chimpanzees can be very difficult to work with.  At sexual maturity the males tend to get extremely irritable and have a tendency toward violence.  Probably more zoo employees have lost fingers to chimp bites than any other cause.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything